+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New to Forum

By the way, in a 13,000 gallon pool, one gallon of 6% bleach is not going to get you to shock level. It will only add a little less than 5ppm of chlorine.

I have the B cartridges. I bought 2 new ones from Walmart and when I got them home they were quite a bit smaller didn't realize that until I unpacked some pool stuff and found 2 old ones from last season.I was wondering why I had slow water pressure and once I put the right size in I had plenty. I went to Walmart today and no stabilizer . I checked the B cartridges and saw that they were smaller than what I had at home.I'm guessing that Walmart's supply is either mis marked or just not manufactured correctly. The old cartridges were from Walmart so must be a new thing this year. I'll order the new ones from Amazon tonight along with the skimmer sock and the stabilizer. Lost all the chlorine from this morning was at zero again after being bright yellow this morning when I added more bleach. I'll take the cartridge out and just run the filter without. Thanks again for your help.
    24' round 13,500 gal AG vinyl pool; Haywood sand filter 1 hp s180t; ; HTH 6 Way OTO Drops; NW NJ

Watermon,

How high should I go? After I add the gallon the reading goes to the bright yellow so according to my kit 5-10. If I go above that I don't get a reading so I have to order the Taylor kit . If you can tell me how high and how much bleach to add I'd appreciate it. Thanks
    24' round 13,500 gal AG vinyl pool; Haywood sand filter 1 hp s180t; ; HTH 6 Way OTO Drops; NW NJ

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If your CYA is 0, then your shock level is 12-15 ppm. In your pool, each gallon of 6% bleach will raise your FC by about 4.6 ppm, so 2.6 gallons would get you from chlorine of zero to chlorine of 12 ppm. Until you order the Taylor kit, you can force your kit to read higher levels of chlorine by dilution, as described here http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/forumdi...ater-Chemistry. It's not as exact as the Taylor kit, by any means, but it's a decent ballpark.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I put all the links together in one place for you.

You do NOT have to get the Brute cans, or the TSP from Amazon; you can probably find TSP and some acceptable cans locally. I just included them so you know what you are looking for.

Also, one of my moderators felt I was pushing Amazon Prime too much -- so I'm not pushing it. I included the link because you can get free 2-day shipping with it IF you sign up for their 1 month trial. You will have to remember to cancel it, however. I buy from Amazon a lot myself (we home school, and have been using Amazon for years!), so Prime works for us.

Please note, to get the maximum benefit of the Unicel cartridges, you need TWO so one can be soaking, while the other is working.
    Kem-Tek Stabilizer 4lbs

Unicel C-5315 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 15 Square Foot Intex B Filter @ Amazon
    1lb Savogran 10621 Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) @ Amazon

Rubbermaid BRUTE Gray 10 Gal Container w/o Lid @ Amazon
    Round Brute Lid For 10-Gallon Waste Containers, 16" Diameter, Gray

Amazon Prime

Perfect Ben Thanks I followed the forums advise and added a 182 oz jug of bleach last night and will test manually tomorrow because that much would be off the chart on my test kit. This morning I brushed not much kicked up the pool is a paler green. The chlorine level was high on the test 5-10 so some stood in the pool. I took out the cartridge as you suggested Ben and it was pretty filthy. I usually keep several cartridges on hand to switch out. I'll do your soaking method too.Now with running without the cartridge would I miss the opportunity to filter the dead algae out? Now just have to locate stabilizer as Amazon couldn't ship for a week and I have zero in the pool. I might have to break down and go to the pool store. Thanks everyone!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Stabilizer is easier to find, then un-mixed dichlor. As far as we know, nobody is messing around with it, yet.

However, I just checked the stabilizer a few minutes ago, at Amazon, and it's available for immediate shipment. Now, that may mean it's available in MY area, but not yours. BUT, you might want to try again.

Red face Re: New to Forum

Thanks Everyone,

I ordered the stabilizer and tsp from Amazon takes 2 days with the prime trial. Now have to find the cartridges guy on Amazon wanted almost as much as the product to ship it . Well heavy rain tonight pool is looking better had zero chlorine again even with 182 oz jug last night. At least it held a little I still was registering high this am but it burned up during the day I'll keep adding 182 oz at night after I brush until the stabilizer comes in or I go broke lol.Once I add the stabilizer how much do you think I'll need if I still have to shock? I'm hoping that once I get the good filters in and have the skimmer sock on it will filter out that algae and turn blue already. Thanks again!!

Aylad,

I'm thinking 182 oz is not enough I'm thinking I need another gallon to get to your estimate of 2.6 correct??Should be 277 oz. Even though I'm now using bleach and the test kit isn't all that accurate I did add 7 bags of the hth super shock over a 2 week period so not sure what else is in that besides chlorine I'll have to check the bags to see if there's any cya in that. Thoughts??

Do not try to find the cartridges locally -- too many folks are selling the 'identical' cartridge, when it's not 'identical'

Amazon is out of stock -- of a LOT of pool gear -- and has dropped back to secondary sellers. I would NOT trust those to send you an actual Unicel.

Just use what you've got, and wait a week and try again, with the link I gave you. Given the fact that your filter was filtering, I'd recommend just putting a new 'B' back in, and using that.

-- gotta go back and re-read your thread; I'm confusing it with another similar one! --

+ Reply to Thread