+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Water does not appear to be filtered very well

leena is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst leena 0

Default Re: Water does not appear to be filtered very well

I plugged the pump back up after letting it cool off all night. Nothing, not even a humming sound when I turn it on. Is it possible that something fixable has happened? or am I looking for a new pump? If so, please recommend a website to order from or a store in one of these areas: Chattanooga TN, Fort Payne AL, or Fort Oglethorpe GA. Thanks. Unless someone tells me different, guess I will go with a 1/2HP pump or the next smallest size that offers a hi/low setting.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I have asked Ben to take a look at this thread to offer his recommendation.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

13K gallon => 8 hr turnover min = 27 gpm

21" sand filter 15 gpm/sft max flo for good filtration => (0.88' radius x 0.88 x 3.14) = 2.14 sft / 2.14 x 15 = 36 GPM

Possible options:
    + 1 HP 2 speed 240V Super Pump:
    http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-84...eed/Detail.bok
    (oversized on high, but run it on low except when backwashing or vacuuming - built in toggle switch)

+ 3/4 HP 2 speed 120V Pentair Whisperflo WDFS-3
    http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-61...ump/Detail.bok
    (oversized on high, but run it on low except when backwashing or vacuuming -- requires time clock or external toggle switch)

+ Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed @ Amazon

That will give you a place to start shopping. The first two are in ground pool pumps, and will last longer, be more efficient, but cost 2x as much. Please note that the first pump is 240V only, which probably would require new wiring. My recommendation is that you NOT purchase a pump from a local store. Instead, if you do the installation yourself, buy online from someone reputable (like A1 or Amazon) with a DEFINITE physical return address. OR, if you hire it done, let your installer make the purchase from SCP (wholesaler) in Chattanooga or Atlanta. Your installer will get a price about as good as a pool store, but will have to stand behind it, if he bought and sold it. Otherwise, online prices will be substantially cheaper.

My choice, for your pool, if the budget is not a big issue is the 115V 2speed 3/4 HP Whisperflo. But, I'll as mas985 to look at this, and see if he has another recommendation.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-10-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: fix typo for clarity

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

I'm finding it hard to follow this thread and current desire of the OP. Replace motor, replace pump, replace pump and filter?

The cheapest solution is to replace the motor on your current pump. You should be able cross reference the motor number.

If you plan on the replacing the entire pump, then in order to recommend the correct size, I need to know the size of your current filter.

If you plan on replacing both the filter and pump, the I would recommend the Pentair PNSD0060DO2260 or PNSD0060DP2160 depending on the plug type you have.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Summary: I think my pump is too large for my 200lb sand filter. Everything shoots thru the filter when vacuuming. I am currently dealing with the problem by holding knee high pantyhose over the return jet while someone else vacuums. This catches all the small stuff except the de powder. I am currently having problems with my pump "freezing up" and I have to pound the housing with a rock to start it pumping. I assume it is going down and I am looking to purchase and properly sized pump for 2 reason: 1. so that it will be able to filter properly using the 200lb sand filter, 2. to save on the electric bill.

NOte 1: When my husband tried to work on the above pump (that had quit working after our 10yr son turned it on but did not pound on the housing to get it started), he realized that it was wired into an OUTSIDE breaker box that went to the garage. Since I had checked the breaker box INSIDE the house, he checked the outside breaker box and yes the breaker was tripped! So with a little pounding the pump is now working again. For now.

Note 2: I am surprised at the difference between the prices of the Whisper Flow and the Hayward. The Hayward is half the price of the Whisper Flo. If I understand you right, however, you are saying the Whisper Flo is better quality and will last longer? We do have a budget but I dont want to skip quality (aka lasts longer?) for this reason....................And it looks like it would be the same price to replace just the motor on my current pump as to buy the smaller Hayward
    24 round 12-14K gal AG vinyl pool; chlorine tabs and bleach; 300lb Hayward sand filter; Hayward 1 HP 2-speed pump; K-2006

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

It depends on which Hayward pump. Pump lines have different performance and quality. For example, the Hayward SuperPump is comparable to the Pentair SuperFlo but not the Whisperflo. The Hayward Tristar series are more comparable to the Whisperflo series.

But since you have AG pool, an IG pump is going to be overkill and probably way too powerful for your setup. I would stick with the Pentair Optiflo or Dynamo pump and a two speed 1 HP or lower.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I have an inground pump on my AG pool. I like it much better than my old AG pump that I used to have. The pump pot is much easier to get open and it is self-priming. Poconos (Al) picked it out for me when I was in the market to replace my pump a few years back. Just my $0.02. I am not the pump guru by any means.

so watermom, is the hayward super pump that you bought, it that the $500+ one? I see a hayward for that price but also one for $250+ but that one is AG and the $500+ is for IG? SO do they make the IG pumps with more quality parts? Because you can get the same HP for either one so thats not why it cost more............
    24 round 12-14K gal AG vinyl pool; chlorine tabs and bleach; 300lb Hayward sand filter; Hayward 1 HP 2-speed pump; K-2006

I'll look and see if I can find my receipt and get back to you in a bit.

I finally got the Taylor-K2006 a few weeks ago and have been testing the chlorine mainly because I cant understand why i keep havin algea bloom. This is what happens. My water turns greenish, I raise the FC level for 3 to 5 days (between 7 to 10), then i turn off the pump for 2 to 3 days, the green settles to the bottom, since I cant get it to filter out thru my sand filter I have learned to vacuum using the 5 gallon bucket of water outside the pool. (this vacuums with a softer suction and doesnt swirl the algea as quickly from the bottom plus doesnt waste as much water) Everything gets to lookin good, then a few days later, its greenish again! Today the pool turned greenish and the FC was 7. It had been 9 two days ago. I didnt think that was very much of a chlorine drop if algea was present. So here is a complete test. Please advise me.

FC= 7
    CC=0 (a few days ago the water turned a pale pale pink after 5 drops of R-oo3, today it stayed clear)
    PH= 7.0
    Alkalinity test (water was no longer green at 70, hot pink at 80, actual red at 100) so Im guessing 90-100?
    CYA= dot started disappearing halfway between 40 and 30, so 35? I added a little more and it really disappeared, it wasnt quite to the 30 mark...so 32?

+ Reply to Thread