+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Water does not appear to be filtered very well

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Water does not appear to be filtered very well

Why don't you get a bucket of pool water and put a little of the clarifier in it and see if that works before you put in into your pool?

pratzert is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst pratzert 0

That's a good idea....

I'll experiment with that tomorrow.

I'll also going to try to keep it stirred up so the filter can grab it easier.

leena is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst leena 0

sigh, i am so frustrated! I closed the valve by what appears to be about half and the de powder is still shooting thru the sand filter. My pool is so dirty looking on the bottom, i have to vacuum to waste to get it out, going thru the filter appears to do nothing! When this pump has to be replaced, what size should I go with? I have a 200lb sand filter a 24'x 52" abouve ground pool (approx 13,000 galllons). My current filter is a jacuzzi 1.5hp.

Im gonna try putting panty hose over my skimmer basket and see if that catches some stuff........

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I would think a 3/4 or maybe even a 1/2 HP pump would be plenty for this pool, but the equipment folks should chime in soon. When you run the filter, is your pressure rising at all?

Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

My previous AG pool was about the size of yours. I bought a 1/2 hp full-rated inground pump and it was plenty big enough. (Poconos -- one of the other moderators -- picked it out for me when I was in the market for a new one.) It is a Hayward Superpump. It is perfectly fine to use an inground pump on an AG pool.

Since that time, I have replaced my pool and now have a 27 ft. AG and I am still using that same pump and it is working just great with that pool as well.

Just my $0.02.

well this story just keeps getting better..................

lately when I turn the pump on it would make a noise but not suck water. I would hit the housing with a rock and it would kick on and start pumping. We completely dumped all the sand out of the filter and replaced it. (last fall we had a horrible algea problem and i had read the comments about it possibly "shredding" the sand) anyways, we replaced all 200lbs of sand. Nothing. I had my son hold a knee high panty hose over the return jet as my husband vacuumed the pool. This worked amazingly well, we went thru 3 knee highs on 2 different days and a fistful size clump remained in the knee high hose on 2 occasions. Now it appears everything is cleaned out of the pool except that de powder that I put in there. After 2 days it always settles back on the bottom.

THEN TODAY MY 10 YEAR OLD SON TOOK IT UPON HIMSELF TO TURN ON THE PUMP! He didnt know about the pump freezing up and it needing to immediately be pounded with a rock to get the "fan or propellers" to turning. He just sat there and looked at it until it quit doing anything! Now it wont even turn on or make any sound. I assume it has burnt up the motor? ARRGGHHH!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Give it a little while to cool off and then try to turn it on. Sometimes it will try to turn until it trips whatever breaker is supplying it (have you checked the breaker to see if it's thrown?). If after a couple of hours the breaker is still on, and the pump won't turn on, it unfortunately looks like time for a new motor. Fortunately, you can probably just replace the motor and not the whole pump. On a good note, if you do have to replace it, you can put a smaller motor on it and save quite a bit of money and fix your filtration problems at the same time!

Janet

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    ...you can put a smaller motor on it and save...
    I'm sorry to contradict, but...
    You'll need a motor that can supply enough power for the impeller. So stick with a motor with at least the same HP rating (or at least the same HP x Service Factor) unless you change the impeller as well.
    You can, and I'd recommend it, buy a two speed motor and only run the low speed. This will save energy and give you better filtration, downside is suction for skimming and vacuuming is less and the two speed motor will cost more.

ok i have unplugged it and am letting it cool off, the housing was very hot. I checked the breaker, none were tripped. It says Jacuzzi on the lid but a sticker on the side says Magnetek 1.5HP so I am assuming that is the motor. Serial #BU4-10. Please make me feel better and tell me that the pump "freezing up" and having to be knocked loose was a sign that it was going down?......I am so aggravated at my son!!!!
    So you can buy just motors for these pumps? Hmm, well the one we have is obviously too strong because the return jet is so powerful its almost painful, plus the suction was so strong that the vacuum would stick to the bottom of the pool while trying to vacuum. Not to mention that it shoots everything thru the filter
    So can I get an opinion from a couple of people as to where to buy a new pump if thats the route I go. Is that Hayward Superpump 1/2HP a good one for me to consider? My pool is 52"x24' round above ground, (approx 13,000gallons) ,200lb sand filter.

Here is an article on Pool Solutions you can read while you are waiting for others to reply. http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/abov...-problems.html

+ Reply to Thread