+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Water does not appear to be filtered very well

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Water does not appear to be filtered very well

Bug populations vary a lot from year to year.

I've run into this with commercial pool customers, where they will experience some sort of bug population explosion that covers the pool -- I can remember a couple of cases with some sort of midge like flyers -- and the pool person on the community board will be all, "Well this hasn't happened before; something must be wrong!" I've had to bring up on the pool deck, during the evening when these particular bugs were swarming, and let them stand there, swatting bugs, and eventually going, "What the @#$ are these things; I've never seen them before! Go ahead and show me what you have to show me, so we can get out of here!!". And, then I grin, and go, "I just did!".

I don't know that this is your case. But I do know the weather this winter has played havoc with bug populations. My wife and I walk in the Chickamauga Battlefield most evenings - have done for the past 10 years - and the ticks are totally out of control this year. We've removed as many as 50 from ourselves and our dog, during one walk!

It sounds like you may have THREE separate problems:
    1. Your filter is not working properly.
    2. You've got algae.
    3. You've got bugs.
    => You need to fix your filter -- add sand, or repair?
    => You need to kill the algae -- more chlorine! Do NOT let the levels drop!
    => You'll have to put up with the bugs, till they get through doing their thing.

By the way, if you'll complete this form:
    PF Pool Chart
    it will make it easier for us to help you.

You can see the results here: Pool Chart Results

leena is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst leena 0

here is where I am now. We flushed out the sand filter (took off top and stuck a water hose in it) and added a little sand(it was 9 inches from top, now it is 6). Vacuumed to waste using the method described with the end of the hose put into a 5 gallon bucket of water. This more gentle suction of water worked better about getting the fine particles of dead algae that was settling in middle of pool, rather than vacuuming with the pump. Added 3 more gallons of bleach. According to the strips the chlorine is high but the ph and alkalinity was low so I added a couple of cups of borax and baking soda. Water is much cleaner and mostly clear ( I can see easily to the bottom of pool but it seems ever so slightly cloudy). I still would like to add the de powder to see if it will help about filtering but I havent found any yet. Also havent got my Taylor k-2006 yet. Anything else I can do?

I finally found some de powder and put 2 8oz cups of it in my skimmer. It immediately blew out thru the jet. Husband installed a valve between the pump and the sand filter but we not sure how to use it. Do we just set it to lessen the water flow by half, therefore not pushing the water thru the sand so fast? We have a 200lb sand filter with a 1.5hp pump. Do you think this is why it does not appear to be properly filtering?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

It is probably just too strong a pump for the filter, pushing the stuff through it like you suggested. I would dial it down a bit and see if that doesn't help.

the pump is not able to be adjusted. there is no high or low or anything like that..........its just plugged in and goes at one speed. I will close the valve he installed, halfway and see if that does anything.............

pratzert is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst pratzert 0

Maybe try a Flocculant or Clarifier to help the particle clump and become larger to allow the filter to "catch" them ?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

@ pratzert: If you have experience with a particular brand that has worked well for you, please mention it. We're trying to determine which ones work, and which ones just cause trouble.

Hi Ben,

I have to look when I get home to see if I still have the bottle of the stuff I used last.

But I've only ever had to use a clarifier twice since I've had the pool (12 years).

It did seem to work.....

thanks.

Well... I'm home and went on the search for the Clarifier I last used.

I found an old bottle of "Leslie's Ultra Bright".

It was open and 1/4 empty so that must be what I used.

I also found an unopened bottle of "Sparkle" clarifier whihc I bought from the old Eastern Manufacturing Co in Baltimore.

I don't know exactly how old the Clarifier is, but I am going to dump some in my 17K Galloin AGP and a few drops directly into the skimmer in hopes I can catch those small particles that seem to keep getting past my Cartridge system.

Last time I used it, it "seemed" to work/help... but in the end, who knows why my problem cleared up.

It's been many years ago......

BUT... B4 I spill any into the pool.... BEN.... what do you think ?

I've had to use about 10 boxes of 20 Mule team borax to get my pH up to 7.2. I think it's some residue from the Borax which keeps gathering on thge bottom of my pool.

I use Borax all the time to adjust the pH, but I have never, ever had to use so much of it as I did this time.

And I've never seen this sort of very fine particles that I can't keep out with vacuuming.

I guess I should be check out my cartridge, and maybe even replace it with a new one.

Tim
    Last edited by pratzert; 06-22-2012 at 05:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread