+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skimmer losing prime

Default Skimmer losing prime

Hello All,
    I disassembled my filter two days ago to replace the o-ring that sits between the multiport and the tank flange, it wasn't leaking, but it had a minor tear a few weeks ago and I wanted to replace before it did leak. Since starting back up I am unable to maintain prime if the skimmer line is turned on....the pump literally sucks the skimmer dry. It functions perfectly if I am drawing just from the main drain. Normally I would assume there was a suction leak along the skimmer, but it started after opening the filter. My question, is it still most likely a suction side leak?

Stella
    15K gal in ground pool; 3/4HP Super Pump; Tagelus 50 sand filter; Aqualogic & T-15 SWCG; Letro Legend

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Skimmer losing prime

When you say "sucks the skimmer dry" do you mean that it pulls all the water out of the skimmer and sucks air in as well causing the loss of prime? If so, is your weir door (flapper in skimmer) working properly and/or is your pool water level low? Either of these could cause you to suck air in your skimmer and lose prime.
    I doubt it's the filter work as it's on the pressure side.

Yes it was pulling all of the water then sucking air....I fixed it. It was a wad of Styrofoam balls from a noodle type float. My guess is that while the pump was off for a while, they gathered to form a blockage. (Previously the pump had been running 'round the clock due to cleaning up a swamp. I snaked the line and and many, many little blobs floated up into the skimmer. Thank you so much for your reply. This year's opening has been "good times"!!

Stella
    15K gal in ground pool; 3/4HP Super Pump; Tagelus 50 sand filter; Aqualogic & T-15 SWCG; Letro Legend

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Congrat's I'm really glad you're not looking for a suction side leak.

+ Reply to Thread