+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AutoPilot Dig 220 Low Amps-Cell?/Check Clean Cell

Default AutoPilot Dig 220 Low Amps-Cell?/Check Clean Cell

This is entering season 7 with our Dig 220, and right before swim season ended last year, I started getting this message. The book indicates that with this message the unit is still producing chlorine, just not as efficiently.

I'm at power level 2, Salt at 3200 with a SC-60 (builder over sized) on a 28,500 gallon pool, and the union screen is clean from debris.

I have a second Dig220 that's a couple/three years old from a friend that went back to chlorine, that has a SC-48 cell.

I've done excessive google'ing on the topic, and it seems it could be many things.

Cell just worn out
    blown fuse
    bad power supply
    bad main board

I've inspected my board, and fuses and there appears to be no problems here. I cleaned the cell late last season after first getting the message, and some scale did come off. The outer two blades are shorter than the rest, but not excessively, and appear to still be square on edge, not worn.

Since I had a spare, I replaced the cell cable just to make sure, but the stab in connectors where clean and free of oxidation prior to this change, which resulted in no change.

AMPS 5.2
    Volts 28

I'm curious is someone can comment if this just sounds like a worn cell? Considering the cost, I'd hate to buy one only to find out it's something else.

If so I would like to the use the remaining life on the extra SC-48 I have. Would I just change it in the installer options, shut down, and swap them, or change it first then adjust the unit configuration? I don't see any reason zeroing it out at this point since it's not new.

Thanks!

Todd

Default Re: AutoPilot Dig 220 Low Amps-Cell?/Check Clean Cell

I recently had the same warning indicator, but my amps reading was 0.2. If you're getting 5.2 amps, that would seem to be a normal reading since that's what I get when my system is running normally, or is 5.2 considered low for your cell type?

In my case, the problem was a corroded power cord. Since you eliminated all other possibilities, it would seem your cell is bad. I use the smaller SC-36 cell and they have lasted me about 4 years on average.

Thumbs up Re: AutoPilot Dig 220 Low Amps-Cell?/Check Clean Cell

Thanks!

I pulled out the SC-48 I mentioned I had, and manually cleaned it. As soon as I got it in, it was off and running, my pool has that crystal blue sheen to it again.

Default Re: AutoPilot Dig 220 Low Amps-Cell?/Check Clean Cell

Did you change the cell type in the installer menu? That should be the only thing that needs reset I believe. 28V and 5.0 + Amps would indicate that it is working as that is what i had on mine before the end of this last season as well. I am using an SC-48 but getting only 28V, 1.5 Amps currently. Have checked everything else and all things seem to be pointing to the cell?
    28k gal 20'x40' grecian-shaped vinyl IG pool, 4 returns, main drain & skimmer, Waterway 22" sand filter (new this year - replaced DE filter)

+ Reply to Thread