+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New Member, yucky pool

Default Re: New Member, yucky pool

I just checked the acid I bought. It's the 31%. So should I try to guesstimate about 1/8 gallon for our pool?
    15' round 4.9K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward Perflex EC45 DE filter; Hayward 1HP pump; hrs; HTH 6 way,Will upgrade ASAP; well (very hard water); PF:25

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Yes, about 1/8 of a gallon which is about 2 cups. Don't measure it out, though. Just estimate. And, be upwind of the fumes. Nasty stuff.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. You're alkalinity causes the pH to rise over time. This page explains what's going on:
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/lowe...p-by-step.html

2. I'd recommend starting with a 1/8 - 1/4 gallon dose -- don't measure, guess. That may be too much, but with your TA as high as it is, it will just climb back up. (The good thing about muriatic is that it's really, really unpleasant long before it's really dangerous -- but still, if you don't try to pour and measure, you won't get a snoot-ful)

3. Do continue with 1/4 bottle of bleach each evening. If your pool's FC gets too high, skip the next dose.

Hello again. I must say that so far this has been the easiest pool year for us, ever. Thanks for all your help.

I see there is now a sticky thread on the lime softening. That is what I came in here for. Our ph keeps creeping up and we are getting calcium scaling starting all over the walls. I will print out the directions. Looks rather complicated, so I will need to get more test chems before I do this.

But other than the hardness problem, we have not had algae, even though we've had an intense heat wave and pounding sun for weeks on end. Thanks so much pool doc! We also have not had to keep changing the DE in the filter. Still using the original and not bumping all the time! It's wonderful!
    15' round 4.9K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward Perflex EC45 DE filter; Hayward 1HP pump; hrs; HTH 6 way,Will upgrade ASAP; well (very hard water); PF:25

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Glad you're able to enjoy your pool this summer and not spend all your time working on it!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread