+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hole in pool filter

Default Hole in pool filter

Started up my inground pool and noticed a small hole in my sand filter. It is about half way up the filter fairly small.

Anyone have any luck plugging up a hole in their filter??

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hole in pool filter

Yeah, it's been done.

The best PERMANENT repairs I've seen were with automotive fiberglass kits, on fiberglass filters. If you have a tiny plastic filter, that won't work.

The fastest repair, that will work for a year or 2 on most filters is epoxy putty:
    Atlas Epoxy Pool Putty Set
    I've used that particular product for years with good success.

You'll need to put most of the putty INSIDE the filter, but push it through the hole and attach it to the outside lump of epoxy via the hole. If the hole is small, enlarge it to at least 3/8". Be SURE to rough up and clean the surface inside and out. If the filter is plastic (rather than fiberglass) you may not get a drip tight seal. Note that that epoxy can be applied underwater, and is actually smoothed and molded with wet fingers. Be sure to mix it COMPLETELY. The color should be totally uniform, before you stop mixing. Cut off a bit, and practice with it, before you try to apply it to the filter. The package I've linked to is way more than you'll use to repair a small hole. Do NOT try to apply it in a layer thinner than 3/8", except at the edges.

There are other epoxy products, but I'd strongly recommend that if you don't buy the product shown you do get a pool epoxy; auto epoxies generally do NOT have the needed qualities.

thanks for the quick reply and the link to the epoxy!

How can i tell if my filter is made out of plastic or fiberglass? It is a hayward pro series 250 lbs filter.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Call Hayward: 888-Hayward and ask them. Polyethylene is non-stick. The only absolute repair is a plastic welder. If it's reinforced PVC or something similar, epoxy will stick.

It's made of thermoplastic... guess I'm out of luck and will need to replace it.

I searched on craiglist for a used one but they are for above ground pools. Whats the difference between a ingound and above ground filter? Is it just the size? Can i use a above ground filter?

Generally, IG filters are sturdier, more realistically rated, and more functional than AG filters.

By the way, even with thermoplastic, you should be able to get a temporary patch that will leak a little, but allow you use the filter for awhile. Also, thermoplastic is not saying much: PVC and PE are both thermoplastics, but PVC can readily be patched with epoxy. When they told you it was thermoplastic, about all they were saying was, "It's not fiberglass".

I decided to bite the bullet and replace the filter but I need some guidance in selecting an appropriate replacement. My old filter has a label with all the specs ( filter area, filter rate, desigh rate, media amount) which of these specs would i need to match up for my new filter?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

There is about 22 000 gallons of water in the pool and the pump is 1 1/2 HP.

If you would, do this:
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    ]

Just got this set up today, and will be asking EVERYONE to use it -- but it's particularly relevant to your question.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: fix pool chart links

+ Reply to Thread