+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting itching rashes after swimming

Default Re: Getting itching rashes after swimming

You will find Pseudomonas aeruginosa in almost any stagnet water. The problem in pools and hot tubs it rises to infectious levels due to bather use and warmer temps. If I rember correctly Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a nitrate lover so you may want a nitrate level checked. If the rash is a true Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection you NEED to see a MD. Folliculitis can become life threating quickly if the person scratches it. The worst thing you can do for a person in the hospital is take them flowers due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa in the water. We no longer allow flowers where I work.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

For any kind of infectious agent in the water, the answer is:......MORE CHLORINE!!!!

If you have such an agent, and your CYA is 230, you'd best use Poconos's plastic sheet method to do a 100% replacement of your water, then shock the heck out of the new water to kill anything and everything hanging around on the plumbing and fitting.

Nitrates, phosphates, etc: I take a dim view of addressing those before the KISS method. If you have something growing in your water, you need CHLORINE, lots and lots of CHLORINE!

With a CYA of 230, I wouldn't pay any attention to nitrates and phosphates. Your problem is as unsubtle as dump-truck--your CYA is way, Way, WAY too high and you must get it down. Ben's discussion of high CYA is for 100ppm, to 200ppm (a theoretical max) and you are beyond THAT!

You must lower your CYA. Period.
    Carl

With a CYA of 230, I wouldn't pay any attention to nitrates and phosphates. Your problem is as unsubtle as dump-truck--your CYA is way, Way, WAY too high and you must get it down. Ben's discussion of high CYA is for 100ppm, to 200ppm (a theoretical max) and you are beyond THAT!
    Carl I didnt notice the CYA of 230.
    Steve

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by medvampire
    Steve
    Not to worry...I'm just forceful in my arguments, not meant to be personal at all. It's about facts, logic and ideas, not people. You missed a key fact--I've done that plenty of times myself and will do so again in the future--and I hope someone catches me next time it happens.

You just want what I want: To help Happi2b clear up the rash problem.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by medvampire
    Steve
    Steve;
    The only 230 I see is from candyass talking about a cya problem they solved not from any of the posters with a problem.
    Jo

That'st correct - it was 230 before I emptied half the pool and replaced the water. The pool store's CYA read 230 before water replacement and 217 after. Posters suggested that CYA readings become inaccurate when they get up to a certain point - so I dilluted the water with 3 parts distilled water and 1 part pool water, then tested it with the Taylor test kit and multiplied the new value (35) by 4 to get the CYA number. That number came to 140 - so I'm within Ben's 100-200 range for min 8ppm.

I just want to be able to swim this summer without spending too much $ on a full water replacement since I will be redoing the whole pool in the fall - so the chart hopefully lets me do that after lowering the CYA to 140.

OK,
    I never thought you could dilute the CYA solution but it makes sense.

It's a best-guess table, so I always view the range of FC as connected to the range of CYA. If you have a CYA of 140, I would not let my FC be 8. It's PROBABLY Ok, but if you are having troubles at 8 then you should be at 11ppm or greater.

You can still dump and refill to get your CYA lower--140 is high, but you can use the high CYA methods safely.
    Carl

The main concern for me was the possabilty of Pseudomonas and if so they need to see a MD. I have seen a few cases of Pseudomonas septcemia caused by a hot tub. Talk about some sick peps. One or two cases was from skin infection and the others from resportory source. I guess that is why I am over cautious with the kids and our pool.
    I agree we are all here to help each other and we will miss things.
    Thanks
    Steve

It sounds like a very unpleasant condition.

But that's not my dept.

Luckily, chlorine kills just about everything.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread