+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Low chlorine reading

sabres07 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sabres07 0

Default Re: Low chlorine reading

UPDATE: Staying with the program here. I FINALLY see some small improvement. I can actually see the bottom of my pool a little, but only in the shallow end. This improved slightly during the day into this evening to the point where I can just make out my vacuum when I am halfway down towards the deepest part of my pool. VERY slow progress, but I will take any progress at this point!!!!
    16'x32' oval 15K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward cartridge filter; Hayward 3/4 hp pump; 3/5/2012hrs; Taylor 2006c; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8

I am able to see my main drain, just barely. Shallow end is getting incrementally better. It seems like it is taking a long time to clear the cloudiness here. The water is very blue, just cloudy. Still holding chlorine up over 20 ppm until I get my Taylor 2006c kit. I vacuumed to waste today in case there was any organic stuff on the bottom.

My question is : should it take this long?? It's been 4 days now.

Thanks.
    16'x32' oval 15K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward cartridge filter; Hayward 3/4 hp pump; 3/5/2012hrs; Taylor 2006c; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

In my experience, to go from spring slime to totally clear takes a week AFTER 100% of the algae is dead, and IF you have a good filter setup.

You can do it faster with floc . . . but floc is unpredictable; everything has to be done right OR you can make it worse. And, you have to vacuum it out, JUST RIGHT. I found I was never able to depend on pool staff to do it 'right'; they'd get an a hurry, and re-suspend the stuff.

So, is 4 days too long? Nah. And if your cartridge is in crappy condition, or was a low-grade aftermarket model (ie, not OEM and not Wilbur or Unicel), it may take quite a bit longer.

UPDATE: My pool is almost completely clear!!!! I am amazed that the BBB system is so easy and works as advertised.

To summarize, upon pool open this spring, I was dumping tons of powdered shock into the water, and was getting 0 FC readings. The local pool store was trying to sell me all kinds of stuff. I then found this site, and was educated properly, andwas told I was fighting an amonia buildup brought on by some type of baterial break down of CYA. It took and enormous amount of chlorine (38 gallons) over three days to break the cycle. I am still waiting for my Taylor 2006c kit to arrive to do accurate testing, but based on what I see, I have success!!

Thanks so much for all of the help. Oh, and for those who are reading and following along, the most important thing to utilize is P.O.P.P., and patience is the most important one!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Congratulations!! Now go enjoy your pool!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread