+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a new pump/filter for my pool

Default Choosing a new pump/filter for my pool

As my current setup isn't the greatest, and is not properly operating to keep my pool clean I'm going to move on. Based on PoolDoc's recommendation my plan is to switch from sand to a cartridge filter, either the Hayward CS1200 or the Pentair CCRP150.

But pumps are alot murkier. I get Pentair products at a decent discount so I was looking at the 2 speed Dynamo 3/4HP 340203 or Optiflo 1HP 347990. The thing is I have no idea which is the more desirable line, they look the same other than the Opti series don't offer a 3/4HP option I looked at Hayward but I require 115V capable and their Tri series were all 220V.

Is there any thoughts on Pentair ( Sta-rite ) for a simple 2 speed unit like this? I'm open to more expensive options if it means better reliability and efficiency, but most of the fancy stuff I see is all 1HP+ and that's a bit big for my pool.

Finally, is hard lining the plumbing with PVC of benefit? I have alot of experience with it so I was thinking the ability to valve off the inlet and outlet would make servicing easier, and I could plumb in the solar heater if I wanted.
    14K gal 18 x 32 x 4 oval AG pool; Pentair Optiflo 1HP Dual Speed & C1200 Cartridge Filter; PF:8.5

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Choosing a new pump/filter for my pool

Either the Dynamo or Optiflo would be fine for your pool. On a typical AG setup, the Dynamo will deliver around 43 GPM and the Optiflo about 48 GPM and your filter can support up to 56 GPM so there should be no problem either way. I like the pump basket lid of the Optiflo a little better, easier to get off, but either one will work fine for you.

Another option is to go with a combo unit. The PNCC0150OF2160 is a 150 sqft filter with a 1 1/2 HP Optiflo. The pump is still small enough not exceed the flow rate recommendations of the filter and you may get a better price but I would price both out to make sure.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Those systems do appeal to me, but I was trying to figure out through thread search here what the appropriate turnover for my pool would be, it seems large.

If it means I could run the pump slightly less perhaps I'd be fine with that. Is it 115V? (I'm looking I may answer my own question) I see it is.

Is Pentair's name in Pool products decent? We use them for some downwell applications, mostly their Variable Speed drives but we switched to Berekely pumps as their "SS" models were still rusting.
    14K gal 18 x 32 x 4 oval AG pool; Pentair Optiflo 1HP Dual Speed & C1200 Cartridge Filter; PF:8.5

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Pentair seems to have a fairly good reputation in the industry and most people have been satisfied with their products.

As for turnover, one turnover per day seems to be more than enough for some pools yet not enough for others. So the general rule of thumb, is run the pump long enough to get the pool clean enough for your own tastes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

By down-well do you mean water well?
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

Yes, we are a Water Pump and Treatment company here, and we use only Berkely pumps now, but they only have a commercial sized pool pump otherwise I'd use them.

We have something in common then. I use and like the Pentair brand, but I can't get them at my usual discount (Sta-Rite pump discount).
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    We have something in common then. I use and like the Pentair brand, but I can't get them at my usual discount (Sta-Rite pump discount).
    I found out neither can I. The supplier has it setup so that the pool guys can't buy sub/jet pumps and we can't buy pool stuff. Darnit!

Ah, then we have the same problem. If you like there is a forum for us W.W. guys. pumpsandtanks.com

Ordered the Optiflo 1HP Dual Speed 115V model. Got it for $220 shipped which is fine with me. Just waiting on a C1200 to hopefully score that for about $280 shipped.

Right now my install is all at ground level. Can it be raised up? The inlet of the pump say about 6" below the skimmer, pumping up to the filter at deck level, then back down to the jet? I'm just thinking ease of maintenance for the future, it would be nice to have it in a closet at deck level.

+ Reply to Thread