+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best pump/filter combo for 21' above-ground pool

Question Best pump/filter combo for 21' above-ground pool

Having a heck of a time getting accurate information about replacing our present pool filter system, which is a Hayward ASL series. They're not around any more, and I don't think I'd want one anyway, but what do I want? Conflicting information about the correct size pump to get, whether to buy a filter system with pump or as separate components, which do the best job, use the least energy, last the longest, etc. Any suggestions? We have a 21' round pool, 15,000 gallons I believe.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Best pump/filter combo for 21' above-ground pool

Hi andiques,
    We have a few very knowledgeable folks on this forum in regard to pump/filter matching, and I'm sure that one or more of them will be by shortly to give you some good information....you're doing yourself a favor by researching this now, rather than after you get a mismatched pump/filter and then have to figure out how to deal with the problems it causes!
    Janet

wondering about the Hayward Xstream filter system (1 HP)... ?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I don't know. Sorry for the slow responses to your question .... the forum's extremely busy right now but someone will be along who can address that question for you. Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi Andiques;

"Best" varies from person to person, and pool to pool. Having an oversized pump with an undersized filter is NEVER best, but otherwise, there's a lot of variation. To help you effectively, we need more info. I figured your gallons at ~9,500 (based on 21' diameter, 3.7' water depth), so the optimal MAXIMUM flow rate is about ~25 gpm, but there are other questions to answer.

+ Would you rather get AG gear or IG (inground) gear? IG gear will cost about 2x as much, but is likely to last 2x as long. However, if your AG pool is 10 years old, it may not make sense to spend $1,000 on a pump and filter that will last longer than your pool.

+ I'm guessing there are not restrictions on water use in Michigan, and that water is not terribly expensive . . . but I should ask, anyhow. Cartridge filters use less water.

+ Which is more important to you: ease of use or water clarity? DE filters give greater clarity, but sand filters are easier.

+ What characteristics of your existing filter system have you liked? Disliked?

+ Reply to Thread