+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool water problems

Default Pool water problems

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP - I HAVE AN IN GROUND GUNITE POOL , I OPENED IT UP 10 DAYS AGO. i DID NOTHING DIFFERENT THAT I HAVE ALWAYS DONE ( 2 PACKETS OF SHOCKET , FILLED THE CHLORANATOR WITH 6 3" TABLETS , HAD THE FILTER RUN AND STILL RUNNING 24/7 ). AFTER 5 DAYS POOL WATER TURNED BLUE BUT NOT CLEAR , PUT CLARIFIER IN , THAT DID NOTHING . , HAD PERSISTENT FOAM ON TOP THAT IS STILL THERE , CHECKED CHLORANATOR ALL 6 TABLES GONE , SHOCKED IT AGAIN WITH 3 PACKETS OF SHOCKET AND REFILLED CHLORANATOR WITH 6 MORE TABLETS . AS OF TODAY 10 DAYS LATER , POOL IS STILL CLOUDY , FOAM IS STILL ON TOP , AND CHLORINE LEVEL IS VIRTUALLY NO EXISTENT , ANY SUGGESTIONS - THANKS

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Pool water problems

We need a current set of water testing results taken with a drops-based kit. Do yourself a favor and buy the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C from the testkit link in my signature. It is the best kit out there. It will not be available locally, though. You'll have to order it online. In the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have an HTH 6-Way kit. At the very least, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops). Post your numbers for us to take a look at. One of the readings we will need is a CYA reading. If you aren't able to find the 6-Way kit, see if you can get a reputable pool store that uses the 'disappearing black dot' test to check your CYA for you. Just don't let them talk you into buying anything.

Also, tell us about your pool. What is the volume, what kind of filter and size of pump do you have. We also need to know exactly what all you have put in the water meaning ingredients -- not just 'shock.'

Foam in a pool is usually from using a cheap algaecide. Have you added one?

POOL FORUM , THANKS YOU FOR GETTING BACK TO ME , i PURCHASED A " INSTA - TEST KIT 6 PLUS" MADE BY LAMOTTE YESTERDAY AT A LOCAL POOL SUPPLY STORE , THE FOLLOWING ARE THE READINGS THAT I RECIEVED,

FCL ( FREE CHLORINE ) .5 PPM
    TCL ( total chlorine ) 1.0 ppm
    alk 0
    ph 6.2
    th 100
    cya 0

according to thewse readings , I need to add soda for the low alkalinity , sodium bicarbonate for the low ph, calcium for the hardness, any cyuranic acid to stabilize the chlorine levels . The pool was very foamy this morning when I took the readings . I will get the chemicals today and see how things progress. The pool is a gunite pool , inverted kidney shape, approx 22,000 gal . The pump is a hayward " northstar " 1.5 hp , I also have a smart oxidizer SPP70 Commercial model , Hayward booster pump for the phantom cleaner , and a cartridge filter system . So far I have went thru 9 16 oz packets of the HTH
    super "shock & swim" which is 52% calicum hypochlorite. I am on my 2nd round of 3" tablets in the chloronator. I checked it last night after testing the water , and they are almost dissolved . In the past ( 6 tablets would have lasted approx. 2-3 weeks ) The pool was opened 13 days ago . I have not added an algecide but did put in 7 oz of a clarifier 5 days ago, which did nothing . any input on the above would be appreciated , Thank you again for your input, SWTrego

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You need to get your pH up as soon as possible. You can raise pH and alk at the same time by using washing soda, or by using Borax for the pH and baking soda for the alk. You also need to make sure you get adequate chlorine in the pool before you get algae. With no CYA that mqy mean adding chlorine multiple times daily. With a gunite pool, you also need to get your cacium levels up, so using cal-hypo to chlorinate would kill both birds with one stone.
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread