+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New maintainer with algae on walls

Default New maintainer with algae on walls

This is my first summer maintaining our home pool and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed already. That being said I'm hoping for some advice on how to deal with what I believe is algae on my pool walls. The pool walls (pebble tec) seem to have streaks of very light green/yellow tinge to them the water seems cloudy/not as clear as it should be. Now for the relevant information:

This is a bean shaped 11,500 gallon pebble-tec chlorine based swimming pool. It uses a Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge system with two Hayward 1hp motors - 1 motor for the filter unit and one for the Paramount in-floor cleaning system.

I will be picking up a HTH 6 way pool kit this evening and have already ordered the Taylor K2006 kit from Amazon. That being said I went to my local pool store and receiving the following stats as a starting point.

Free Chlorine: 4
    Total Available Chlorine: 4
    Total Alkalinity: 150
    Acid Demand: 2
    pH: 7.8
    CYA: 120
    Phosphates: 200

I live in AZ, my filters were flushed/cleaned 3 weeks ago and my pressure has not increased on my filter unit. Temperatures are averaging around 100 during the day droping into the upper 70s at night. Both my filter and cleaning systems currently run for 7 hours each night.

Any assistance you can provide to help me get this under control would be appreciated. I'll be off to the store to pick up some bleach later this evening as well.

Thanks -
    SurfaceDreamer
    11.5K gal Pebble-tec pool; Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter; 2 Hayward 1hp pumps, 1 for the filter, 1 the Paramount in-floor cleaning system.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New maintainer with algae on walls

Your chlorine level is way too low for your CYA level. (Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.) I'm not sure how your pool store got a CYA reading of 120. The test actually can't differentiate values over 100. At any rate, you need to shock your pool up to 25ppm and try to hold it at that level to get rid of the algae. in your pool, each gallon (4 qts.) of 6% bleach will add about 4.8ppm of chlorine. Use that as a reference to help determine bleach doses needed.

Good decision to order the Taylor kit. You're going to need it in order to measure the high chlorine levels you're going to have to run. In the meantime until your kit arrives, you can use a dilution method to force your kit to read a little higher. It is not super accurate and is not meant as a replacement for the good kit but just something to use temporarily. Read about it here: Testing Without a Good Kit

Your pH is ok at 7.8 but if it goes any higher, you'll want to drop it a little with some muriatic acid. Be advised that pH readings aren't accurate at high chlorine levels. With most kits, you need to test pH when chlorine is no higher than 5ppm. With the K-2006, the pH reading should be accurate up to chlorine levels of 15ppm.

Keep your pump running 24/7 while you are trying to clear the pool.

Hope this helps. Come back with any further questions.

Ok - HTH kit picked up, 4.25 gallons of 6% bleach in the pool as of 30 minutes ago, everything brushed down and pump and filter all on. I will test first thing in the AM and see where we are at. As far as the tab floater in the pool... should that be left floating or pulled out during this process? Double and triple checked the filter pressure and it's still operating at normal levels but will keep an eye on it.

Since my filter pressure has maintained steady and not changed so far - do I need to worry about flushing the filters during any part of this process?

Thanks again!
    11.5K gal Pebble-tec pool; Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter; 2 Hayward 1hp pumps, 1 for the filter, 1 the Paramount in-floor cleaning system.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You need to read the Best Guess page linked in my signature, and then make a decision:

+ You can drain 75% of your water, lower your CYA, and then run 'normal' levels of chlorine using tabs, OR
    + You can run CYA=120+, but then raise your FC to 15 ppm, by dosing bleach 1 or 2x per week. You can use a partially filled floater to maintain CYA levels.

1,000s of pools in your area are run that way by service companies who inject chlorine gas 1x per week.

If your filter pressure has not increased, you should not clean it.

PoolDoc - your signature didn't show in your response... may want to check it

As for my options after killing the algae - UGH! I just filled the entire pool less than a year ago and my water rates have increased over 50% since then Very frustrating. I'm going to recheck the CYA before I proceed with draining the pool.

Any suggestions on where I can find the equipment to perform the pool drain? Is there any place that usually rents the pump for example?

Thanks.

I've decided the following... not necessarily in the following order:

1. ditch the *#($^ pucks
    2. drain the pool partially and refill
    3. use bleach to manage my pool going forward (unless there is another way to manage without raising CYA)
    4. Pray my family doesn't mutiny on me and hang me from the pool umbrella for messing up their summer cool off spot

My OTO kit this morning still showed TC over 15 (using the testing without a good kit method - double dilution) and pH at 7.8 however I don't think that will really matter since I'm partially draining the pool and all my chemistry will change from the dilution. That being said can I simply start with the partial drain now or should I wait for more shocking to be completed before I start the partial drain? I just want to make sure I don't make the algae issue any worse. I found a pump rental at a local hardware store and was going to move forward with using that to drain the pool.

Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks Watermom! I had looked at the link in your signature line and made my determinations there Just wanted Ben to know that his signature line wasn't showing (at least for his response in this thread). I'll start draining the pool in the AM and go from there. Hooray me!!! <--- notice the sarcastic enthusiasm

When we post, we have the option to show our signature or not. We try not to show it every single time because all those "blue banners" are pretty bold. So, we typically just show the signature occasionally instead of every time we post. On your post, Ben must have just unchecked the box and that is why it didn't show on that particular post of his.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

SurfaceDreamer,

I don't want to try to talk you into something you don't want to do. But, if your family is ready to swim, you don't have to drain. So long as you maintain your K-2006, so you can test accurately, there's no real downside to running a high CYA / high chlorine pool . . . especially if you establish a algistatic borate level.

And, by going that route, you can use up your trichlor tabs!

Ok, there are a few downsides:

1. If you take a water sample to a pool store, they will freak out, and tell your your pool is going to sneak into your house, and murder your and your family at night (or something to that effect)!

2. If your buddy comes over, notices how clear your pool is, and asks you how you do it . . . he'll give you a really weird look, if you actually tell him.

3. You won't need to add chlorine but once a week. With all that extra free time, you may do something that gets you in trouble.

The irony is, the same neighbor who thinks you're nuts, may have hired PoolChlor of Arizona to do the VERY SAME THING to his pool . . . using -- OMG! -- chlorine gas!

+ Reply to Thread