+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time using K-2006, need to interpret results

Default First time using K-2006, need to interpret results

I finally got my K-2006 in, and did my first test. I need some help in interpreting the results, and recommendations on getting my pool Stabilized. Thanks!

Using a K-100, I got the following results...

Chlorine - Less than 0.5ppm

Bromine - Less than 1ppm

pH- between 7.2-7.5

Using the K-2006 Test, I got the following results

Chlorine - never turned pink, even after adding 5 dippers worth of R-0870.

pH - 7.2

Alkalinity - 9-10 drops of R-0009 to turn water to red using the 25ml test, so that is 90-100ppm...

Calcium Hardness - 2 drops of R-0012 to turn color from red to blue using the 10ml test. So that is (2x25) or 50ppm of calcium carbonate.

Cyanuric Acid - I did exactly as told, filled the clear test bottle to 7ml of pool water, then added R-0013 to the 14ml mark. I mixed for 30 seconds, then slowly entered into the CYA test tube with the black dot at the bottom. I completely filled the test tube, and could still see the black dot as plain as day. I looked at the CYA test bottle, and it was as clear as drinking water. I dunno if I did something wrong, or if my CYA is just that bad off.

Also, Yesterday afternoon, I added 4 gallons of bleach, right before the mailman delivered my K-2006. I tested the pool water with the K-1000, and the CL was off the charts high. I tried with teh K-2006, but quit so I didnt continue to waste all my reagents. One to this afternoon, I am reading less than 0.5 ppm Chlorine, so something is certainly eating up my chlorine fast.

Anyways, these are the results I got. I need to get it balanced. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
    In Ground, 6,900 Gallon Gunite pool with tile trim, Haywayd EcoStar SP34000VSP Variable Speed, Aquarite 25k SWCG, North Florida

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: First time using K-2006, need to interpret results

It looks like you have no chlorine and that is why it didn't turn pink when you added the powder. Your pH is ok at 7.2 but you might want to bump it up just a little to 7.4-7.6 with a little 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart). Also, your calcium level is a little low. You might want to chlorinate with Cal-Hypo for awhile as it will add needed calcium. You'll want your hardness level to be somewhere between 200-400. if your CYA test was clear to the top it means that you have less than 30ppm, so you'll want to add a little. Without it, your chlorine will quickly be lost to the sun. A good level is 40-50. I wouldn't add too much at a time as you don't want to overshoot your target.

Hope this helps!

EDIT -- Just noticed that you have an SWCG. Look at your manual for recommended CYA level instead of aiming for 40-50.

When you say you tried testing yesterday afternoon with the K2006 but quit, did the test solution turn pink when you added the DPD powder? And do you remember at which point you stopped counting drops and quit? The 4 gallons of bleach would have added 18 ppm chlorine. You do not need to use any more than one dipper. If there's chlorine, the solution will turn pink with one dipper of powder–unless you have a huge amount of chlorine and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I would add stabilizer just as soon as you can get it in there, using the goal set by the manufacturer of your SWCG. I would start out with some of the liquid product since it's already dissolved and can start acting right away. Expensive stuff though. Then continue with granular until you've reached your target.

Add 2 gallons of bleach every night to stay ahead of what likely is a beginning algae bloom until you have at least 30 ppm of CYA. That would take 72 oz of liquid or 28 oz of granular. This amount of bleach nightly should provide about 9 ppm and keep things under control until the CYA is in.

Raise your pH a little. Shooting for 7.5 you would add 25 oz of borax (20 Mule Team) or 12 oz of washing soda.

I don't know the calcium requirements for a gunite pool and can't offer an opinion on whether your 50 ppm are enough.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Watermom's 'send' button is faster than mine

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

It may or may not be a pending algae bloom. It could just be having no CYA and losing all the chlorine to the sun.

Yes, could be, but that would be a lot of UV interaction, 18 ppm in 14 or so hours of daylight.

Where do I get cya additive from? I cannot find it at my local stores or am looking for it under the wrong name.
    In Ground, 6,900 Gallon Gunite pool with tile trim, Haywayd EcoStar SP34000VSP Variable Speed, Aquarite 25k SWCG, North Florida

It's also called conditioner, stabilizer, cyanuric acid, balancer. It should say on the label "100% cyanuric acid". Pool stores sell it, big box hardware stores might, and WalMart may have it.

+ Reply to Thread