+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whats the difference between in ground and above ground sand filters ?

Question Whats the difference between in ground and above ground sand filters ?

A friend gave us a Tagelus TD-40 filter that was on an inground pool. Is it ok to use this for an above ground pool?
    18' round 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Hayward S144T sand filter; Hayward 1HP pump; hrs; Taylor K-2006; City; summer: ; winter: ; ; PF:16

Default Re: Whats the difference between in ground and above ground sand filters ?

I guess I'm not the only one that doesn't know.
    18' round 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Hayward S144T sand filter; Hayward 1HP pump; hrs; Taylor K-2006; City; summer: ; winter: ; ; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Whats the difference between in ground and above ground sand filters ?

Sherrie;

We've just been slammed. Traffic has been up since Christmas, but over the last 2 weeks, traffic has been DOUBLE what it was this time last year. We're not keeping up, but all we can do is hang on till June 15 when it begins to slack a bit.

You can use an IG filter on an AG pool; Watermom and a number of more experienced PF users do so. IG equipment tends to be a bit more durable and better designed, than AG gear, and the application ratings are closer to being realistic.

What may have caused hesitation in answer your question is that these questions tend to be followed by, "How do I connect it?" and it's hard to answer those sorts of questions over the internet.

Okay we're gonna try it this weekend. My pool looks pretty and blue but it's still not crystal clear. I figured it would be better because it's much bigger. Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by sherriemoseley View Post
    I figured it would be better because it's much bigger. Thanks
    This statement isn't right. You can buy above ground filters and inground filters that are the same size.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The Tagelus TA 40D isn't very big but Hayward's site has been down all day so I can't compare the S144T. I you think it's bigger, maybe worth it. Can you rig them both in parallel?

Above ground / in ground I see no difference except marketing.

Our Heyward is a 50 lb. filter and the Tagelus is 175 lb.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Well then, your path is clear. I wouldn't bother to plumb in the 50lb filter. Still, watch out for losing sand on backwash 1hp pump is pretty big.

I have a tagelus 60D for a 1- HP pump. I like it fine. I thought I had a filter problem but it ended up being several other things.

Just make sure you are very, very easy when plumbing in the valve head. I ended up cracking both the inlet and outlet despite trying not to. They leak a little bit.

I would suggest only going hand tight and that's it. I went hand tight plus 1/4 turn with a wrench. Ended up that hand tite probably would have been best.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

+ Reply to Thread