+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Above Ground-Liner Stains

Default Above Ground-Liner Stains

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help. Just opened my pool yesterday and the water was clear. I did notice some stains on the bottom liner only so I tried scrubbing them off. Unfortunately, these stains are not coming out. The stains almost look a grayish color. I added sparkle conquest earlier today, and the stains still won't come off. Does anyone know what I can do? I follow all of the winterizing procedures, and have never had this problem before. One thing I did notice was one of the pool rails has rusted, and there were a few specs of rust on the bottom of the pool I vacuumed up. The stains are not near where these rust specs were though.

Thanks

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Above Ground-Liner Stains

Before anybody can venture a guess as to what they are, we need to have an idea of what has been put into the pool. When you tried scrubbing them, did you try a baking soda paste? Have you tried rubbing it with a vitamin C tablet to see if it's maybe metal staining?

If you can post a list of your water test results, along with a list of what has been added to the pool, it might help us help you a little better....
    Janet

Silly me. I'm usually good at researching problems, but instead I went to my local pool store and listened to them. When I took the cover off, the ph, and alkalinity were both low. No sign of chlorine either, but the pool was clear and free of algae. I put in ph increase yesterday, as well as alkalinity powder. I also added two pounds of shock. The pool is an 18 round. Today, I tested it and the readings were ph 7.8, free chlorine was 0, alkalinity was 120, and ppm stabilizer was 30-50. This was using dip strips. I know some people don't like these test strips but they have never failed me as of yet.

--------------------

I have not tried either baking soda or vitamin c. Should the filter be running during this treatment of sparkle conquest?

Thanks!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I have no idea what sparkle conquest is, so I can't advise you there. I do know that if your stabilizer is 30-50 ppm (which I doubt--I'm one of those who absolutely distrusts test strips) and you put in 2 pounds of shock but now have zero chlorine, that you're probably fighting something in the water, and I'm guessing it's the sparkle conquest. So...you'll find that our advice here often differs much from the pool store's, and that people who try to follow advice from both us and the pool store end up frustrated. Because this is a busy time of year and we're struggling to keep up with posts from folks who follow the advice that we give, I'm going to ask you to choose one or the other--so we don't waste your time and energy trying to help clear up a pool with conflicting advice from other places.

Thanks

Janet

I signed up on the forum to get advice from the people on the forum. The readings I gave you were before I added the sparkle conquest which is a stain fight chemical against minerals.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hatsoff,

You might have come to the wrong place: you think test strips are great; you trust your pool store; you are using HEDP (Conquest) at their instructions to remove an unidentified gray stain. It sounds like you've got a plan and are pursuing it.

It's not a plan we'd recommend, but it's your plan and that's what matters.

What's not clear is what you want from us?

Our advice is not really compatible with pool store advice, so you'll end up having to pick one or the other. It sounds like you just want a 2nd opinion, but I'm pretty sure you don't want OUR advise which is going to going to include things like, "Ditch the 'guess-strips'" and "Figure out what the stain is, before you start treating it" . . . and you've already decided you don't WANT that sort of advice.

So, my first thought is that we can save both your time and ours, by suggesting you go with what you trust, and head back to your pool store!

We hope you have a great pool season!

Are you guys kidding me on this forum? I took the time, and followed all the processes to join this forum. Now it seems you guys are chasing me away. I am not looking for a second opinion. I joined this forum because I have stains on the bottom of my pool that I would like to get rid of. The moderator asked for the readings in my pool and I provided them. Now I am just looking for help with these stains. I plan on going with the advice I can receive on this forum. This is why I joined.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Then, our advice is to purchase a good test kit (Taylor K-2006 or 2006C, see the testkit link in my signature) and not use the test strips. Find out what your CYA level is via the disappearing black dot test. The kit I recommended can do this test and most pool stores can do this for you but please do not let them talk you into buying anything else to add to the pool. Keep your chlorine at the appropriate range based on your CYA reading. (See the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.)

Also, try the suggestions Janet gave you above regarding your stains.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Help with these stains, tends to flow directly into help with pool chemistry in general. So, if your choosing our advice over the pool store (and we're fine with either choice; we just don't have time -- especially right now -- for people who are trying to split the difference) do these things:

1. Go get an HTH 6-way test kit at Walmart. It appears that these stores have them in stock and are near you:

Walmart store #2825—Old Bridge (732) 525-8030
    1126 Us Highway 9
    Old Bridge, NJ 08857

Walmart store #5201—Edison (732) 650-1297
    2220 State Route 27
    Edison, NJ 08817

Walmart store #5281—Woodbridge (732) 826-4652
    306 Us Highway 9 N
    Woodbridge, NJ 07095

2. While you're there, pick up a bottle of Vitamin C tablets and a small bottle of Iron Out (detergent section)

3. Test the pool when you return. We're particularly interested in the stabilizer reading -- 'guess strips' are notoriously inaccurate at that point. Tell us what your test results are.

4. High chlorine can make it hard to remove stains, so you might want to look and see if you can find some polyquat at Walmart or elsewhere, to keep your pool from turning green while you work on stains. Look for an algaecide with a 60% concentration of poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride] If you find some, add a dose as soon as you get back.

5. Pile a few Vit. C tabs on the stain, and see if it has any effect.

6. Let us know what all the results and reactions are, and what you've been able to find.

7. Also, tell us what type of pool you have, dimensions and volume, and the make/model of your pump and filter.

8. And, ESPECIALLY, if you have an ionizer, skimmer pill, Floatron, Frog, Nature2, or any such device OR if you have used any algaecide with copper or silver OR if you've used any sort of 'chlorine-free' product.

Wow. Thanks. I'm heading over to walmart now to get the test kit.

+ Reply to Thread