OK I am so tired of my pool I could literally weep right now. We have had this pool for about 5 years but this year seems extremely difficult for some reason.
First, the pool is above-ground oval 15,000 gallons. We have a Haywood sand filter and use chlorine.
We opened the pool 3 weeks ago. I say "open" loosely as it was not covered or prepped for the winter in any way.
It was extremely green. We followed whatever the pool store said. I don't remember as we've been there probably 10 times in 3 weeks. We've shocked, floc'd twice, tried clarifier twice and many other things to get it clear.
We made a big mistake of not taking out our steps so the algae kept wanting to grow.
As of yesterday we took out the steps and put in twice the shock as we normally do to kill the algae that escaped from the inside of the steps. I also vacuumed and brushed. We've done it this way before and took out the steps after we could see the bottom and were more comfortable getting in the pool but we got desperate this year.
As of this morning, the pool is still cloudy but not green. I have yet to see more than 1 foot down since we started trying to clean it. So frustrated that I can't get it clear.
I have a drops test just for pH and chlorine (and ordered the Taylor kit) and chlorine is of course high since I just put so much in yesterday. The pH seems to be between 6.8-7.0.

What can I do to get this thing clear??