+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Banana plug connector - Autopilot salt system

Hybrid View

Default Banana plug connector - Autopilot salt system

I have an Autopilot system and was getting a low amps warning. I saw another thread in the forum which talked about this issue, so I checked my connectors and the problem is one of the wires to a banana plug connector had corroded and was disconnected from the banana plug.

Both the banana plug and the wire look good (after I cut off the corroded tip of the wire). My problem now is trying to connect the wire again to the banana plug. I've never seen a banana plug before and don't know the right way to connect it.

Home Depot has banana plug connectors for stereo systems and the way they work is that the top of the plug can be unscrewed from the base, then the wire inserted thru the base, and then the top of the plug screwed back on.
    Unfortunately, the banana plug I have doesn't seem to be able to unscrew the tip from the base.

Does anyone know the correct way to attach the wire to the banana plug connector?

Thanks.

Default Re: Banana plug connector - Autopilot salt system

You can use any standard banana plug connector. Just cut off the damaged ones, strip the wire back until the wire is shiny and clean (no oxidation-discoloration), then make sure you've connected the wires in securely and tightly. It doesn't matter which color plugs into which banana jack on the bottom of the unit.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

thanks for the response

2 follow-up questions:

(1) how do you connect the bare wire to the banana plug? I don't see anyway to crimp it or otherwise attach the wire to the plug. I think the original wire was soldered into it.

(2) where do you get replacement banana plugs? I tried Home Depot, Lowes, and Pinch-a-Penny and they don't have it (other than the plugs for stereo systems which they had at Home Depot). I would assume a specialty electrical supply store?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Radio Shack.

+ Reply to Thread