+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Base for an Intex Easy Setup Pool

Default Base for an Intex Easy Setup Pool

Brand new to pools here and I have a few questions. I am looking at the Intex Easy Setup 18' pool with Krystal Klear Saltwater system and sand filter. I have talked to a few people who have or have had them and two of the major concerns I came away with are, the ground must be 100% level to get the pool to work/look right and be sure to treat the ground so as grass won't grow through the bottom of the pool.

I was thinking of a way to solve these two problems with one solution. What I've come up with is to basically build a sand box using treated 2x6 lumber and fill the box completely full of sand/dirt fill packing it down. I'll have to bury some sides of the 2x6 to get a nice level top, so I won't be filling an entire 2x6 deep box when it's all leveled. After I've filled it, I was thinking of decking it with treated 1/2 or 3/4 plywood. In my mind, this would create a nice level surface and with a wood bottom, there should be no grass growing through the bottom. I'll be caulking the plywood joints to keep anything from trying to come through there or water from getting under there and washing the fill out.

I think the extra bit of decking will be nice to have for pool chairs, pump base, and such.

Is this over the top or just wrong altogether? Thanks, and remember, never had a pool so any help is appreciated.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Base for an Intex Easy Setup Pool

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but I'm not sure about the plywood. Treated plywood is rated for outdoor exposure but not, I think, for ground contact. But, if you fill it with topsoil and then rake and roll that, you'd have a surface that should be OK.

An alternative might be quarry sand. In this area you can buy limestone 'quarry sand' -- the bits left over from rock breaking, minus some of the dust. That sort of product would be less likely to shift under the liner than sand.

+ Reply to Thread