+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Salt and swim

Default Hayward Salt and swim

I just purchased oneof these from Leslies as they had a sale and a good deal. In looking online to see if I overpaid or not, I note that they come in 6 month and 12 month versions for the cell. The cost of the replacement cell is almost half the cost of the unit.

Is this the norm for these generators that the cells only last 6-12 months? If not, how long do other systems generators last?

I haven't opened the box yet and am considering returning this as having to spend 299 every six months does't sit well with me.

Thank you in advance for replies.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward Salt and swim

The cell in these units is very small. The cells that Hayward has for their Auqarite and Aqualogic units are warrantied for either 1 year or 3 years (you pay more for the longer warranty). Usual lifespan for these cells is 5 years or more (as are most SWCG cells). However, the replacement cells cost as much as an entire salt and swim init.
    The salt and swim seems to be an entry level unit designed for easy self installation and easy cell replacement. However, the marketing model seems to be the one that King Gillette devised many years ago when he developed the safety razor...Give them the razor very cheaply so they keep having to buy the blades at a high profit.
    Personally, I would spend a bit more and get an Aquarite (or a similar unit from Autopilot, WaterMaid, CompuPool, or Pentair)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: Hayward Salt and swim

It is designed as a DIY installation and short cell life, kinda like an annual cell (or one season cell) concept.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread