+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy water

Question Cloudy water

Hi ---I'm new here and hope I've used the right area to post. I opened the start here link and couldn't find a post button there.
    I have a 15' round above ground pool with a 1000 gpm intex filter and this will be season #3 for it. Over the winter the cover came off and lots of leaves and dark matter got in it. We drained it, cleaned what we could and refilled it and it was green and we ran the pump a lot, used some chlorine and let it run for awhile. I took water in for testing and it was within all ranges except for stabilizer which we added. Waited 2 days and added chlorine and still not clear so pool store said to add clarifier which we did 4 days ago. The whole little packet which is made for up to 10,000 gallons but my pool only holds 3700 gallons. The chlorine is definitely holding now but the water is still cloudy. I got my pool cleaning brush out and started cleaning the inside walls while standing outside and about 1 ft down where the cloudiness really begins, the pool wall was very rough and not smooth like the top part. Not much gook came off tho and I could not get the roughness out. Any ideas what is going on?
    I have a new 2500 gpm pump and am waiting for the adaptors so I can connect it to get better circulation.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Cloudy water

Yeah, Intex filters aren't the best. The bigger filter will help. What will also help -- and we are beginning to have reports that it helps a LOT -- are replacing the Intex cartridges with Unicel. Ironically, it will also save money, because a pair of Unicel cartridges will last all season, and the Intex cartridges are supposed to be replaced every 2 weeks!

I'll leave this thread open -- I have to go right now -- and post the links to the cartridges on Amazon this evening when I get back. In the meantime, look and see whether you have Intex A, B, or C cartridges. Matching them up is tricky, and it will save time if you can tell me which you have.

Hi!
    I just joined as a member. Was having a hard time figuring out where things were posted. Still have cloudy water after 3 days of adding a gallon of bleach each evening but it's bluish now and not green. I have not gotten a good test kit yet and not sure about the CYA. Added a pound of stabilizer 2 weeks ago but it says not to clean the cartridge filter for 72 hrs after adding stabilizer and I want to change it constantly to get the algae out and it's almost gone now. The test I have is showing deep yellow to orange so think it's working. How long should I keep adding the chlorine for?

Second issue---Had Intex 637 for 1000GPM pump and installed a 2500 gpm yesterday and the spray from the output hose was unreal (10ft or so).........for about 1 hr. Then it started slowing down. Checked the strainer and no blockage....released air from the pump but no change. Today, it's hardly flowing at all....less than the old filter I had. Has anyone had this problem? The plunger valves are both open.
    15 ft Intex 3200 gallon agp. Intex GP53366EG 2500 gph pump with size B filter as of 5/21/2012. Used 1000gph pump before that for 2 yrs.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I would call Intex; they are polite and try to be helpful, and you haven't much to loose. Do you have their number?

Default Re: Cloudy water & new Intex 2500 gph pump

I called Intex yest. and they emailed me some papers to fill out and are willing to send me a new pump. BUT, I decided to rinse out the cartridge filter and by jove, the output flow was good again.......for an hour! I rinsed the filter again and the same thing happened. I will try to post pics of the cartridge (guess I didn't subscribe for that) anyway. it wasn't that dirty (to me anyway--it has some brown stuff on it in places but not covered) compared to the green algae that covered the old cartridges on my 1000 gph pump when I first opened pool which were nasty and still allowed the out take to flow ok for hours!!
    Also reposting a q I had in earlier post
    Hi!
    I just joined as a member. Was having a hard time figuring out where things were posted. Still have cloudy water after 3 days of adding a gallon of bleach each evening but it's bluish now and not green. I have not gotten a good test kit yet and not sure about the CYA. Added a pound of stabilizer 2 weeks ago but it says not to clean the cartridge filter for 72 hrs after adding stabilizer and I want to change it constantly to get the algae out and it's almost gone now. The test I have is showing deep yellow to orange so think it's working. How long should I keep adding the chlorine for?
    15 ft Intex 3200 gallon agp. Intex GP53366EG 2500 gph pump with size B filter as of 5/21/2012. Used 1000gph pump before that for 2 yrs.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You need to keep adding the chlorine for the whole time the pool is up....but you need to keep it at shock level until the green is completely gone and you are not losing any chlorine overnight (testing in the evening and again in the morning before the sun hits the pool). At that point you can let it come back down to normal levels, but you really need to know if you have a CYA reading because that's what your chlorine levels are based on (see the "best guess chlorine chart" link in Pooldoc's sig).

The vBulletin attachment feature is BROKEN from the factory; it seems to loose all the pictures every time I have to do an update. Do NOT use it.

If you have a Flickr or Picasa or other image account, you can post the pictures OR you can email them to me at poolforum@gmail.com . Either way, I'll eventually move them to the PoolForum Picasa account, since that way I don't have to worry about the pictures getting lost.

Most Intex owners put their stabilizer in an old sock, and hang it in front of the return where water re-enters the pool.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by poolpuppy View Post
    ... the output flow was good again.......for an hour! I rinsed the filter again and the same thing happened...
    This is good! it's getting the crud out of your water - wash the filter every time it slows down. Have you considered Ben's suggestion about getting Unicel filter carts? Also you need test kits. HTH 6-way from wall mart is a good start (if your wall mart has it) and do order a k-2006; you'll be happy you did.

Got a sock with stabilizer in it floating in front of output. Going to order Unicel cartridges and test kit. Right now I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the pump or plunger valve. I say this because the cartridge doesn't look anywhere as dirty as the ones I had with the old 1000 gph pump when first cleaning out the pool and the output didn't dimish then. They were completely covered with algae from top to bottom.
    Sent pics to Admin so hope he can post them.

Also noticed a bit of water on top of the output plunger valve...not a leak, just standing water on the top. Is it possible there is an air leak in the gasket of the valve that would eventually slow down the pump output? It does not leak when the plunger valve is closed and pump off tho.

I had some HTH 6 way strips that were testing the water so far off from what the pool store tested it at that I took them back. The strips showed my levels too high for alkalinty (240) and a couple others showed colors that weren't on the container. The pool stores test showed these to be in normal ranges. Guess I got a bad batch. Expiration was 5/12. Also want to stay away from pool store so joined here.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

You didn't get a bad batch of strips, they just don't work - none of the batches.
    This filter is working better because it's catching smaller stuff the other just passed through. It's a pain but you are cleaning the water. When the stuff is out of the water, the filter won't clog.

+ Reply to Thread