+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Classic critter stories

MaryLee is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst MaryLee 0

Default Re: Classic critter stories

Quote Originally Posted by itismesue
    Last year in the center of our pool, I found what appeared to be...how do I say this tactfully...hmmm...a large piece of poop (sorry, can't think of a tactful way to say it). I was FURIOUS! I fished it out only to find that it wasn't poop at all. It was a fried chicken leg.
    I'm still trying to figure out how it got in there since we don't eat fried chicken.
    LOL.....That's really funny!!!

I just fished a large furry mouse (it was probably a rat, but I can't bear the thought of that) out of my pool this morning.....yuck!
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    3 1/2' ft to 8' deep
    Pentair DE Filter
    400K BTU Pentair Minimax heater

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

The worst for me was coming home after being away overnight to checking on the pool ( I always check the pool first thing), and finding a dead skunk floating with his head caught in the skimmer. Now I have a pretty good stomach, and I have retreived a lot of small dead creatures out of my pool since I live in the middle of the woods, but this one really threw me for a loop. All I could do was first scream, second run in the house, and get my wonderful, wonderful husband to go out and fish skunky out. I dumped in mega doses of bleach, and didn't go near the pool for 2 days - I was too grossed out. I still get the heebee geebees when I think about it~
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I've only had one dead critter, a baby bird on the solar cover 2 years ago.

The best have been the gray tree frogs that we have had in our pool the last 2 years, those little guys are LOUD! Of course my daughter had to catch them and put them in an aquarium for a few weeks to observe them (and catch bugs to feed them) before we turned them loose near a lake....little budding scientist. Don't you know it, a couple of them got loose in the house. After hunting around, we found all but one and decided to wait until evening when he would start making noise. My hubby found him at dinnertime.....perched on the back of the stove, watching him cook dinner! LOL

It was fall the first year we had the pool. We had several days of storms and leaf cleaning. One afternoon we went shopping in neighboring town right after work and it was dark when we arrived home. I decided I needed to empty the skimmer baskets. It had been raining and windy all day and I was afraid the packed leaves may be putting pressure on the pump. When I got out back I could see the skimmer was backed up with leaves- so full they were building up in the pool area going into the skimmer. I noticed one long stem on one of the leaves and grabbed it when I was grabbing the "wad" of leaves from the pool. When I touched it- it felt funny- and then I noticed I had the tail of a big dead rat..... I was sick for days- never empty the skimmers in the dark anymore.

One Afternoon I was swimming in the pool and I was at the deep end swimming toward the shallow- where there is a skimmer. I thought I saw something looking at me when the skimmer thing flapped- I noticed it again..
    hmm... Got out to check it out. It was a baby snake coiled in the skimmer on top the basket- he was keeping his head above water- could not get out of the skimmer area- just there trying to survive. I felt bad for him- especially when I chopped his head off. I hated too- but he scared me- what fear will make you do!!!

I hope those are the worst stories I will ever have.

michladny is offline ** No working email address ** michladny 0

Today I found my first DEAD ANIMAL in my skimmer....YUK !!!!!!! It was a black-bird, slightly older than a baby..actually, he was pretty big come to think of it. How the heck he got in there and couldn't get away makes me wonder as I keep the lid on the outside on the skimmer....only thing I can think is he got SUCKED in cause this morning I had to add a little water to the pool to bring the level back up. Oh well, I guess his buddies will finally stay away from the pool
    Michelle

+ Reply to Thread