+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Rules

Default Pool Rules

My inground pool is being built and my question is concerning pool rules. Any tips on pool rules?

Default Re: Pool Rules

This could be a fun thread!
    There are probably as many rules as there are pool owners Everybody's situation is different regarding what they do with their pool and what they can tolerate, or not.

Some of my favorites, not all pertain to my own pool.

* To limit uninvited guests, neighbors, friends, family, and allow you some private pool time, use a pretty flag. When the flag is up, the pool is available. When it's not, please don't come over.
    * To avoid neighbors using your pool as an after-school babysitter, all children under [specify age] must be accompanied by a parent.
    * No eating or drinking in or around the pool. This can be modified by you when you have adult parties.
    * No glass containers, no tech devices with glass (cell phones, iPads, laptop computers). Yes, things do fall and break and glass on a wet surface or in the pool is a nightmare.
    * Guests should bring their own towels or you'll be doing a lot of laundry.
    * Give some thought about where guests can change and use the bathroom.

We built our pool so the dogs could exercise. Our dog rule is that guest dogs have to have been brushed (to limit dog hair) and that the owner has to be in the water with the dog.

There are lots and lots of other considerations, I'm sure you'll get many responses.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I'm very strict about no standing on the slide, slide down feet first only, no diving on the shallow side of the rope....
    Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

No diving in shallow parts of the pool. Too many people end up with TBI (traumatic brain injuries) from diving accidents!

Always have an adult at poolside when there are children swimming. No exceptions. It only takes an instant for an accident to happen!

Swim diapers for little ones!!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The pool is not a potty.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post

Always have an adult at poolside when there are children swimming. No exceptions. It only takes an instant for an accident to happen!

I would go so far as to say always have an adult in the pool when little ones are present. We had 6 adults around the pool that year when a 2 year old decided to keep playing 'jump at Daddy' . . . except Daddy wasn't in the pool. It was mere seconds before one of the adults looked at the pool and saw this baby floating face down.

Children who can't yet swim and pools are a tragedy waiting to happen. There must ALWAYS be an adult IN THE WATER when little kids are loose around the pool.

I feel very strongly about this. It was my baby.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Anna, I agree! If you have toddlers around, the adult needs to be in the water. I was actually referring more to school-age children rather than tiny ones when I suggested and adult at poolside.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Probably my biggest rule is no swim diapers. They do not work to contain the 'toxic spill" they just don't swell up when wet like a regular disposable diaper does because they do not contain the same gel absorbant (which also means that they do not contain urine very well either). If the child is not potty trained they are not going in MY pool! (Sorry if this bothers anyone but this is the truth about swim diapers and I used to take care of the pools and spas at a resort facility and we had many "swim diaper incidents" that required us to close the pool that children were allowed in (the other pool was adults only).

I tell everyone that I have a special chemical in the pool that will change color if they use the pool as a bathroom also!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    I would go so far as to say always have an adult in the pool when little ones are present. We had 6 adults around the pool that year when a 2 year old decided to keep playing 'jump at Daddy' . . . except Daddy wasn't in the pool. It was mere seconds before one of the adults looked at the pool and saw this baby floating face down.

Children who can't yet swim and pools are a tragedy waiting to happen. There must ALWAYS be an adult IN THE WATER when little kids are loose around the pool.

I feel very strongly about this. It was my baby.
    First, sorry to hear about the accident. Thats about the only thing I worry about around my pool. Most of my "rules" are unspoken....people hear about how fanatic I am about taking care of the pool, so they in turn actually use their brains without me telling them to (no food near the water, nothing glass, etc)

The one SPOKEN rule I have is if your kid is in the water, you better be with them or within 5' (aka the concrete deck around the pool) with both eyes on them. Do not rely on me to be able to save your child because you were chatting with someone else. Obviously if I see a kid in trouble I will jump in, but the parent(s) not watching them would feel my wrath afterwards. Like I said, the only thing that keeps me up at night about the pool is someone getting hurt or worse.

Ive also encouraged small kids in our family to take lessons. They learn something and I feel safer when they are over to go swimming. My 6 yr old has been decent at swimming for 2 seasons now, my 3 yr old is already comfortable jumping in and going underwater (with swimmies and tube still.....we'll nix the tube this season)

+ Reply to Thread