+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What works best, Sand or Cartridge filter??

Default What works best, Sand or Cartridge filter??

I have just replaced a 10 year old sand filter used with my above the ground pool, with a cartridge filter.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which type of filter works best?

The reason for the change in filter type was because I was having a real issue the last two seasons with keeping my water clear- I changed filter media, and it still seemed to me that the filter was not removing particulate matter from the water, so I figured changing the type of filter was worth a shot.

What I can tell you is that the pool chemistry was "perfect" according to the local pool store water testing computer.

I have just started up my pool for this season with the cartridge filter and I want to know if I should expect a dramatic difference??

Thanks-

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: What works best, Sand or Cartridge filter??

Seems like you have done this in reverse. Usually people ask for an opinion before they make the decision, you have done the opposite. You'll never get a straight answer to that question anyways. Everyone has an opinion and likes best whatever it is that they have on their pool. Many PF members do have cartridge filters and like them just fine!

Having a pool store tell us that the numbers are perfect doesn't mean much to us. We really need to see the actual numbers -- taken with a drops-based kit. The best thing you can do for your pool, is buy a good test kit and test the water yourself. The kit we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C which you can get through the test kit link in my signature below.

Welcome to the Pool Forum! Hope you enjoy participating with us!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Sand, cartridge, and DE filters all perform well and all trade off filtration ability vs. ease of use and water use. Sand filters are the easiest and use the most water in backwashing but only filter down to about 10 microns. DE filters have the best filterering ability (under 10 microns) but are the highest maintenance and just behind sand in water usage. Carts fall in the middle, filtering to about 20 microns and use the least water. If they are properly sieze for the pool they do not require frequent cleaning making maintenance a one to four time a year event but if they are undersized the are probably the worst in terms of maintenance.
    Bottom line, they all work well when properly cared for. I suspect that your water clarity problems were due to nascent algae blooms cause by an overstabilized pool (off the top of my head) AND that your water chemistry was not 'perfect'.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to The Forum!

As Watermom pointed out, everyone has their personal preference on the type of filter but the thoughtful folks here will allow that another type may be a better choice for your pool and your needs.

As such, we need to know as much about your pool as you can tell us!

Especially, as Waterbear and Watermom pointed out, the real chemistry #s.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread