+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pH between 6.8 and 7.2 (ish)... how much Borax?

Default pH between 6.8 and 7.2 (ish)... how much Borax?

Like the title says, about how much borax should I add to raise the pH of my pool to the 'ideal' level? And whats the method, broadcasting or through the filter?

Thanks
    24' Round 52" (44"/12450gal) Deep Namco Morada - ClearWater 22" Sand Filter - 1.5HP (SPL) Speck Pump - Taylor K-2006C Test Kit

Default Re: pH between 6.8 and 7.2 (ish)... how much Borax?

Is 52" the height of the pool wall or the functional depth of the water?
    What is your TA?
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'm willing to bet that 52" is the wall height and the water level is more like 4.5 feet. I'd suggest adding a third of a box of Borax slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running, breaking up any clumps. Wait 3 hours or so and retest to see where that takes your pH. Then you can decide if you need to add more.

Mastamoon,
    Here is a pretty handy link to an online pool calculator that I found in a thread on this forum somewhere (I think). It's helpful in getting an idea of how much to add. Most importantly, don't just throw the whole amount in...its not 100% accurate but it gets you damn close. Add some (half?) and then retest before adding more, if needed. Just like Watermom said above.

http://poolcalculator.com/

I hope this helps!

JP
    22500gal IG 22x36 lagoon w vinyl liner -- 1.0HP 2 speed Hayward Superpump -- Intermatic P1353ME digital pump control / timer -- Hayward S244S sand filter -- New Water W400 in-line Auto Chlorinator -- Polaris 9400 robotic pool cleaner

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Here is the calculator that most of us use that was created by one of our former members. Although it is called the bleach calculator, it is actually much more than that. You can click on the upper left corner for additional calculators. Hope this helps.

http://www.poolforum.com/zxq/BleachCalc262.exe

Those of us using operating systems other than Windows aren't able to open .exe files since that's a Windows program.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Two things:
    1) A 52" high wall means 4' of water is only 4" below the wall, so it's not 4.5'--Sorry, Watermom!
    2) If your pH is measuring 6.8-7.2, then I suspect you are using strips and they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to read correctly for pH. You need at least an inexpensive OTO/pH test kit to get a more accurate reading of your pH before you begin adding Borax.

Carl
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Two things:
    1) A 52" high wall means 4' of water is only 4" below the wall, so it's not 4.5'--Sorry, Watermom!
    Yep. You're right. Thanks for catching that, Carl!

Thanks everybody. I havent been able to test with the k2006 yet. I did the test with a regular red/yellow kit. I added some ph increase i had from last season to bring it up a bit. Looks like NJ is in for almost a week of rain so Ill check next weekend with the k2006 and report back then.
    24' Round 52" (44"/12450gal) Deep Namco Morada - ClearWater 22" Sand Filter - 1.5HP (SPL) Speck Pump - Taylor K-2006C Test Kit

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Remember to maintain chlorine levels DURING the rain days! (Unless you want a nice crop of algae growing, when it stops raining!)

+ Reply to Thread