Closed Thread

Thread: IG Vinyl liner pulled out of bead for several feet.

Default IG Vinyl liner pulled out of bead for several feet.

Hi all, opened this spring and had lots of water under the IG vinyl liner. Managed to get the water out by using the pool pump and vac line (actually worked quite well). But now I still have the liner pulled out at all corners along the bead, one of which is out for several feet. I saw a hair dryer post, which I will try. Also a re-floating idea. But I suspect these are not going to get me anywhere near the amount of slack I need.

Has anyone ever heard or tried a carpet stretcher to try and work the liner back in an inch or two at a time?

Any other ideas?

Chuck

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

Default Re: IG Vinyl liner pulled out of bead for several feet.

I don't think a carpet stretcher will work for you. What I would do, and have done, is get all the oil out of your hands and make sure the section of liner is totally dry. Then on your stomach, start working the liner up to grab some slack. You'll be getting very small amounts each pull but eventually you should have enough to poke the liner straight back into the track. Not real easy but it works. Hope this helps, Tony

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Instead of a hair dryer you may be able to use hot water from your house water heater if you can tap a garden hose into it somewhere. Never had to try it but I imagine you could heat a larger area quite easily and without the possibility of too much heat localized on the liner by a hair dryer. Last thing you want to do is melt a hole in your liner.
    Al

Hi guys thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying a commercial grade paint stripper heat gun and it was way overkill, should have bought the small one. I got all four sections of the liner back in and it took roughly 15 minutes.

Had to be very carefull though because it produces a serious amount of heat and could damage the liner. Nice to have any easy end to a very ugly looking problem.

Chuck

Wow a paint stripping heat gun. I will have to try that did you do it from inside the pool or above on your stomach?

I had tried a steamer or steam gun and it worked a little but I just couldnt get neough stretch and my pool liner is only 6 years old. I bought the house and was mistakenly told to drain this particular pool Its inground/indoor with a vinyl beaded liner.

Any more info would be great.

Thanks

Well,

I took an older shrink tube/Shrink wrap gun. It produces the same amount of heat as say a paint stripping gun.

I worked the entire area with the heat not allowing the gun to warm one spot to quickly or too much.

After about 4 tries I had the thing completely fixed. When we moved into this house the corners were never perfect but now they are.

I should have thought of this myself after trying the blow dryer, and steamer, this is the next logical step.

I used a pair of grip gloves with the rubber coating on the fingertips and palms for extra grip.

Personally I would suggest a partner for this as its pretty difficult to get the liner up and held all the while hammering in a penny or two. I went as far as using a few nickels.

I am going to get it filled and then run some beadsaver product around to replace the change.

bbb is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bbb 0

Just want to point out that the best time to put your vinyl liner back on the bead is on a sunny, 90 degree day, at around high noon. The entire liner is more pliant at that point, and may be able to get smaller areas back on without any other tools!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie2715
    Wow a paint stripping heat gun. I will have to try that did you do it from inside the pool or above on your stomach?
    Also, to state the (hopefully) obvious, never operate an electric hair dryer or heat gun from inside the pool!
    bbb = bleach, borax, & baking soda

Closed Thread