+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the best purification system?

Default What is the best purification system?

I have a 36,000 gallon inground with DE filter, chlorinator and heat pump. Is a SWG the best is there a better option? What brand and size would you recommend?
    inground free-form pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: What is the best purification system?

Depends on what you want. A SWCG is very expensive but it does allow you to not have to attend to your pool as often and makes it easier to go on a vacation without having to worry so much about your pool. However, it takes quite awhile to recoup the expensive. You'll get lots of opinions about SWCG or not. It is really up to you. Some others will be along with more details for you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

The easiest way to determine the "Value or Return on Investment" on whether to purchase a SWCG is to calculate how much you currently spend on Chlorine using your current method. For fun let's say you spend $200 per season, then next, price out a SWCG that is rated 2-3 times larger than your pool. For example, if you have a 12,000 gallon pool, look for a SWCG that is rated for a 24,000 - 36,000 gallons. O.K. lets just say you pick one that costs $1000, add about $200 for installation, and you will see that a typical unit will take about 5-6 years to break even. Now, no one but you can calulate the convenience factor, but you can get a rough estimate at what you're looking at cost wise.

And, FWIW, I love my SWCG, it is the best thing I ever did to my pool.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

I like the convenience my SWCG offers, but I can't say it's saving me any money over traditional chlorination methods. I do like how the salt water feels and is much less irritating to the eyes. I wonder, has anyone tried adding salt to a traditionally chlorinated pool without a SWCG? Do you get the same benefit (feels better, less irritating)?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    I wonder, has anyone tried adding salt to a traditionally chlorinated pool without a SWCG? Do you get the same benefit (feels better, less irritating)?
    Yes and yes.

I haven't heard of adding salt to a non-SWCG pool, but the TDS would be up. So if and when TDS is tested, wouldn't you have to take the salt level reading into account, and subtract it from the TDS reading?
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Yes, but knowing that it's high because of the salt, you'd just ignore that value anyway....

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallGuy View Post
    I haven't heard of adding salt to a non-SWCG pool, but the TDS would be up. So if and when TDS is tested, wouldn't you have to take the salt level reading into account, and subtract it from the TDS reading?
    We had some discussions of adding salt to non SWCG pools because it makes the water feel softer and can be easier on un-goggled eyes. The TDS reading is one we rarely find significant. Just using bleach adds to your TDS, as bleach is made from a brine solution--that's the "inert ingredient" in bleach.

Here we mainly subscribe to chlorine systems, not bromine, baquacil or even bleach-and-metals (Nature2's copper and silver erosion system), just bleach. SWCG falls into that category.

As for what is best, well any PROPERLY designed and maintained system can give exemplary results: Clear, clean, safe pool water. So, whatever you run, Sand, DE, Cartridge, SWCG, Chlorinator, Heater, Heat Pump, Solar (and combinations of these) can call give GREAT results. You just have to maintain it correctly.

Carl
    Carl

In my ongoing quest to help educate people and prevent our members from being “Pool Stored”, I brought up the question of TDS only because I have actually had a pool store salesman tell me that my TDS was “OFF THE CHART” and I needed to go home and completely drain my pool and re-fill, but before I leave the store, be sure to grab a big bottle of stabilizer and a few other chemicals so I would have everything I needed to get up and running.

+ Reply to Thread