+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning pump basket

Jacob99 is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Jacob99 0

Default Cleaning pump basket

So my pump filter is filthy. Do I have to remove the hose that's connected to it from the skimmer before I can clean it out? If I undo the hose clamp isn't water going to come pouring out of it? Do I just route the hose into the pool while I'm cleaning out the pump? Is this why people use the shut of valves?
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cleaning pump basket

i don't disconnect anything. I just quickly open it, pull the pump basket out, quickly shut it, dump the basket and then quickly put it back in. Maybe some people have valves, but I don't.

Yes on turning off the valves. That closes the line from the pool to the pump. And turn off the pump, of course.

I have huge respect for folks like Watermom who doesn't have valves. Tried removing the pot lid on my system once without turning the valves off and it's not only a gusher but getting the lid back on against the water pressure was a bit of a struggle for me.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

I ended up stuffing a shammie (car drying towel) down the skimmer pipe while I cleaned it out. It worked, and I figured out why pump loud was so hard to turn. Gasket was out of place. Now it comes off with ease. No leaks either.
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

Good thinking. Glad you got the lid off and the pot cleaned out. Next time you're at the pool store see if they carry expandable plugs. You might find one to fit your pipe sizes.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Expandable plugs....good to know. Thank you.

I just close the filter and then place something (a little plastic cup or bowl, whatever is handy) in the skimmer over the hose hole to keep water from gushing out. But they do have those plugs you can buy.
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread