+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DE out the jets...

Default DE out the jets...

Hey folks,

So, first time cleaning my Pentair DE filter...thing was filthy! Thought I had everything back together correctly, didn't see any tears or issues with the filters themselves, but i just added my fresh DE to the skimmers and WOOSH....it all comes shooting out the jets.

I wasn't sure if this was a case of the filters being a little TOO clean, i.e. not all of the DE was trapped on them or...? The distribution fitting that goes from the intake pipe to the white fitting on each filter didn't seem to snap on or anything, just kinda "sit" on top.

Thanks for the advice!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: DE out the jets...

If you'll post your EXACT DE make / model, someone may be able to offer some specific advice.

More generally -- if DE is coming back into the pool, "being a little too clean" is not the problem. Either the filter was not reassembled correctly, or one of the parts broke or tore.

Thanks, I broke it apart and figured out THAT problem - didn't have the manifold seated correctly. My problem NOW is I'm getting 30psi off the filter :/ Backwashed several times, water coming off is clear, but the pressure only stays low (at low pressure the pool jets blow nicely, high pressure they're barely a dribble) for about 30mins, then right back up to 30.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'm not sure I understand:

Quote Originally Posted by Muggi View Post
    My problem NOW is I'm getting 30psi off the filter
    You mean, you're seeing a reading of 30 psi ON the filter pressure gauge?

Backwashed several times, water coming off is clear
    Coming OFF where? Out of the backwash? Back into the pool?

, but the pressure only stays low
    Pressure, or flow? Pressure is what you read on the gauge; flow is what you feel at the pool return. Are you saying that when the gauge reads high (30 psi) the flow is low, or high?

(at low pressure the pool jets blow nicely, high pressure they're barely a dribble) for about 30mins, then right back up to 30.
    If you are saying this:
    1. Before backwashing the GAUGE pressure is HIGH (30 psi), but the flow into the pool is LOW.
    2. Immediately after backwashing, the GAUGE pressure is LOW (10 psi?), but the flow into the pool is HIGH.
    3. 30 minutes after backwashing, the GAUGE pressure is again HIGH (30 psi), and the flow into the pool is LOW.

Then, that is entirely normal with a DE filter and a pool that is (a) extremely dirty or (b) has live algae.

If (a) is the case, you just have to keep cleaning.
    If (b) is the case, put the filter on recirculate till the algae is dead.

By the way, if you haven't OPENED the filter and manually washed it out, you need to do so. Most DE filters can only be backwashed a few times before they have to be washed down. Download the manual, first and read it.

+ Reply to Thread