+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Liquid Bleach Dispenser

Default Re: Automatic Liquid Bleach Dispenser

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I'm enjoying reading this! You've explained the chemistry more simply than most.
    I wouldn't be too quick to fall all over this guy. Remember the "Cyanurics:Benefactor or Bomb" article? He's directly cited that article as the source for his thinking.

I found Ben's response to that article:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=756

Also, I'd be somewhat concerned keeping low levels of Cl in the pool, because of his belief that you "don't need much". Sure you don't, if nobody uses the pool. You have to have some Cl reserve in there. Coupling bather load + sun = a rather scary possiblity of swimming in a non-sanitized pool.

Personally, a SWC takes care of all my needs with virtually zero maintenance. I know it's safe, and I know it works. Bleach works equally well, it just takes a little more maintenance to keep your levels up. I had considered a pressurized Cl feed at one point, but decided the negatives far outweighed the positives.

Michael

Amir is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Amir 0

The constant adjusting will be a problem for me too. That must be the reason the guy with Linux used a pump. I wonder what will be the response form the manufacturer. As far as low level of chlorine, we have a very light bather load and as I said not much sun – lots of trees. As long that I can maintain 1 pmm level with low CYA I think it will be safe. I had in mind - if using a chlorine feeder system – to run the pump several times (5-8) a day for 1 to 2 hour intervals rather than just running it for 6-8 hours constantly. What attracted me to this device was the simplicity and if the CL levels are kept at around 1-1.5 and have a variance of +/- 0.5 I think it will be safe (please correct me if I am wrong) – given our light load of bathers.

Amir

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

This is the place I found it for sale online. Just type liquidator into the search box and hit search.

http://poolandspawarehouse.t324.com/search.asp

I still need to experiment with maintaining water and bleach in a container without having them mix like the ezpool site describes. This would be the key to consistant behavior from the liquidator

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I keep thinking of getting a peristalitic pump and a timer. A rate that would add about 1-2 FC/day would probably keep it VERY clear.
    Carl

drumr is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst drumr 0

Just thought I might chime in. I work in an aluminum extrusion factory with an anodizing line, which is basically a water and liquid chemical based line that puts a coating on the aluminum extrusions. In our various tanks we use these small metering pumps to add whatever chemical that the tank gets in precise dosages. We had several old ones lying around so I asked my boss if I could have one and he let me. It's called a Flex-Flo electric metering pump and it is adjustable from about 1 gallon per day all the way up to 74 gallons per day. All I do is stick one of the hoses in the bottle of bleach and the other I have got going into my skimmer. I have it turned down as low as it will go and it will empty a 96 oz bottle of bleach in about 16 hours. I was actually surprised at how well it works. It is very heavy duty (made for sulfuric/hydrochloric acid use). I have used it for the last 2 seasons and have been very pleased with it.....

And best of all....it was free!!

I talked to the manufacturer today regarding the concentration of chlorine as the level goes down. The official answer is that the concentration remains virtually the same until there is only 0.5 gallon of chlorine left - something to do with the way chlorine and water react together. The only issue is if you have very high alkalinity and calcium, it causes excessive scaling on the floats that needs to be cleaned out. The person I talked to lives in CA and has the 8 gallon version and keeps 5-6 ppm concentration with 100 CYA level. By the way they have certification for this unit to be used in public and commercial installations and if the concentration would not have been constant, they could not get this certification. All in all, I think I will order one and give it a try.
    Amir

Thumbs up I Love the Liquimate!

Greetings All- I actually am beginning my 3rd season using a "Liquimate" with a 5 Gallon barrel of Sodium Hypo 12.5. I have a 35,000 gallon vinyl lined pool. I am not in the pool business in any way. It works great for me.

I started using it after I went to the BBB method, and saw how clear my pool can be. I have a high mineral {mangenese} content/low PH {5.5} coming from my well water in Massachusetts. I have reduced my stabilizer level to 35, and can increase my PH to about 7.2, so the high PH of "Pool Bleach" is just one less thing to drive down my PH.

The Liquimate, set at the #1 {lowest setting}, meters just enough bleach for me to keep my FC at 1.0 continuously, supplementing my levels with 1/2 to 1 gallon of 12.5% in the evening, depending upon bather load. I run my pump 6 hours/ on 6 hours off from May till September. My pool is crystal clear. No polyquat, no clarifier, no voodoo.

I know Carl D. does not like this unit, and he is extremely knowledgable, but for $89.00 it has been fool proof for me. I even bought a back up, thinking it would break, but it has not missed a beat.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hey, Hawk!

I WISH it worked for me as it has worked for you. It would have been great. Believe me, I would have liked that. I'm glad at least it works SOMEWHERE.
    Carl

Default Re: I Love the Liquimate!

Hawksnestbay,
    I have the same size pool and similar conditons. How many Gallons of Sodium Hypo do you use per week (12.5%)?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread