+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Add CYA

Default Best Way to Add CYA

What's the best way to add granular CYA to the pool? I tried the old sock method I read about somewhere on the Forum, but didn't work very well. I'm sure it was user error. I am now trying to dissolve the granules in a bucket of water before putting them in the pool, but they don't want to dissolve. Any advice?

-Andrew
    Pool Specs: 20,000 gal. • inground • vinyl liner • Hayward s200 sand filter

21' kidney 20K gal AG pool; Bleach; Hayward S200 sand filter; Hayward pump; 8/10/2012hrs; Taylor k2600; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:6

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Best Way to Add CYA

Easiest way to add CYA with a sand filter (assuming you are not clearing a green pool at the same time).

1. Backwash your filter first since you can't backwash for a week
    2. SLOWLY pour the desired amount of CYA granules direcly into the skimmer WITH THE PUMP AND FILTER RUNNING. (The CYA will get caught in the filter where it slowly dissolves).
    3. Run the pump and filter continuously for the next 24-48 hours to help the CYA dissolve faster (Optonal but a good idea.)
    4. DO NOT BACKWASH FOR THE NEXT WEEK.
    5. Test the CYA level in a week (It will probably all dissolve before that but this way you KNOW you won't be adding more than you need if it tests low!)

To Summerize: Add it to the skimmer with pump running, don't backwash for a week, forget about it for a week, Test it in a week and add more if still too low!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thought that might be the trick, but wasn't sure. And, no green water. Luckily my water is crystal clear this year since I had to have the pool drained to fix a leak. Just working to get everything reintroduced and balanced back out. Thanks Waterbear.
    Pool Specs: 20,000 gal. • inground • vinyl liner • Hayward s200 sand filter

21' kidney 20K gal AG pool; Bleach; Hayward S200 sand filter; Hayward pump; 8/10/2012hrs; Taylor k2600; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:6

fog80 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst fog80 0

I'm clearing a green pool and need to add cya. Pantyhose method?

The water is to the point where I can almost see the bottom, but I haven't turned the filter on yet. I need some time to clean the de "fingers" and prepare to back wash like every hour.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'd clear up the pool and then add CYA if it were my pool. If your pump/filter are not yet running, you're not really going to be able to get it dissolved and into the water.

Glad to see you back around the forum for another season!

fog80 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst fog80 0

Thanks. Got the filter going now, FC is holding....I'll vacuum up and then add cya
    20,000 gal IG plaster, Hayward Super Pump, EC65 DE filter.

I have diclor. Will that help raise my cya? I have a 22,000 gallon in ground vinyl lined pool and my cya is at 0. Everything else is good. If I cant use the diclor what should I use and how much do I need to add?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can use dichlor since it does have CYA in it, but it will take some time for your CYA level to increase. After you get the CYA level up to around 50 or so, you'll want to discontinue dichlor and only use bleach or liquid chlorine.

Now -- before you put the dichlor in, give us the package ingredients. Some places sell dichlor that is blended with some stuff that you do NOT want to be put into your pool. Also give us the Brand and product name.

Brand is Aqua Zone
    Ingredients
    Sodium dichioao-S triazinetrione hydrate......... 99%
    other ingredience(thats exatly what it says).....1%
    Available chlorine.......................................... ..55.5%
    If I can use it how much and how offten do I test?
    THANKS!

sorry spelled dichioao-S wrong should be dichioro-S

oh and my chlorine is at 10 ppm. Since it is in a good range I really don't need to add any so what should I use to raise my cya? Last year was my first year using the BBB method, trying to clean up a big mess the pool store made of my pool and it was at 70 so I didn't have to add. The last thing I want to do is ask the pool store for a stabilizer and end up back where I started.
    Last edited by Watermom; 05-19-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: merge multiple posts

You can just buy some CYA and add it outright instead of using dichlor if you want. You may have to buy it from a pool store, but just don't buy anything else while you are there. You might find it at Walmart or someplace. It might be called stabilizer or conditioner but if the ingredients say cyanuric or isocyanuric acid, it is the right stuff. Add enough per package directions to get to about 40 or so. Add it slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running and then do not back wash your filter for at least a week and run the pump 24/7 for four or five days while it is dissolving.

Another option is to just use the dichlor that you have on hand to add the CYA as you chlorinate. Though your chlorine level was 10ppm when you tested, it isn't going to stay there if you currently have no CYA in your water. So, as you need to add more chlorine, your dichlor will gradually be adding CYA. Monitor your CYA level every couple of weeks and when you get to 50ppm, switch to either bleach or liquid chlorine.

A third option is to add some CYA now to get to a reading of about 25 or 30 and then to use dichlor for awhile to get the rest of the way up to about 50.

+ Reply to Thread