+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand Helper - Zeo Sand

Default Sand Helper - Zeo Sand

Just activated my account, so haven't searched really good yet, but was wondering if there were any comments about "Sand Helper" and what it is.

Also, on the 5th season with my hayward 24" sand filter. Was a rough opening, water was very green. I vac'd to waste, then shocked (really shocked) last night and started to filter. Water was clear this morning, with some debris on the bottom. I vac'd again, then backflushed and it ran brown for a good 5 mins.

Back filtering now, but was wondering if should plan on another season of using this sand with maybe some help or switching to zeo sand.

Any comments would be welcomed.

Rob

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Sand Helper - Zeo Sand

There is no reason for any type of sand additives, cleaners, etc., and sand doesn't need replaced unless you gunk it up with a Baquacil conversion or something. The sand in my filter is on its 12th season. Most people don't think there is much reason to use zeo as it doesn't seem to do any more for you than just using sand.

Might be a good idea to post a current set of water testing results taken with a drops-based kit for us to take a look at to see if we can help you get the pool cleared up. If you don't have a good kit, do yourself a favor and get one! We recommend the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C which you can pick up through the link in my signature below.

Welcome to the Pool Forum. Hope you enjoy participating!

Thanks, and after posting the thread, I logged out and was able to browse all the forums again and saw some threads regarding the Zeo sand. Glad I didn't buy any.

Also, I won't plan on replacing the sand this year, and as I mentioned my water is very clear again. I added 2 gallons of 10% and about 3 lbs of some dichlor shock I've been sitting on for a few years, I usually don't use it as it has too much stabilizer, but since I just refilled the pool, I figured it wouldn't hurt. 10 hours of filtering later, the water was clear.

I've been using a drop based kit for 3 years and my results were good. I tested while green to see if the water was way off, but it looked good, so I was pretty confident it would clear up, and it did.

FC - 15
    CC - 1
    Alk - 100
    ph - 7.4

Thanks,

Rob

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

What's your CYA level? That's one of the MOST critical measurements!

Yes, I understand the relationship. I had just filled the pool with about 15000 gals of water, and I had closed it with about 60 CYA, so I know that the CYA was probably low. I'll be checking that soon.

Again, my water is sparkly clear it was after just a few hours, I've used the information here for years and have never had a problem. My question was related to 5 year old sand vs. zeo and the use of "Sand Helper," not about the water numbers.

Thanks again, but this thread can probably be closed.
    in-ground pool

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Just to make an additional comment...I've used both sand and zeo over the last several years, and I really don't find any difference between the two when it comes to filtering quality.

+ Reply to Thread