+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Pumps

Default Pool Pumps

I am a newbie and know almost nothing about pool maintenance or pool equipment. I use a pool service to maintain the chemicals in my pool.

We currently have a single speed Hayward Max Flo II Pump. The pump is 2.0 horsepower. The motor has been replaced on this pump previously.

This pump used to operate fairly quietly, but has gotten really loud lately. The sound bothers me and I am surprised that I have not had complaints from my neighbors.

I am thinking of replacing the pump with a new variable speed pump.

I am looking for suggestions for suitable replacement pumps. I am looking for a pool pump that operates fairly quietly and is energy efficient.

Any suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Pool Pumps

Hi RobertPool,

Welcome to the forum!!

It will help those responding to your question to know a little more about your setup. How many gallons does you pool hold? l What type and size filter do you have? Do you have water features, or in-pool cleaners?
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Pumps

Robert,

I can't dig into this too much now. I did look, and there's not too much you can do with your existing pump -- it requires a special motor that is not available in an energy-efficient winding. Your options are a variable speed pump, or a two speed .

Generally speaking, VFD's are
    + slightly more efficient
    + easier to select (one size fits all)
    + easier to install (unless you pick one that MUST have an external controller)
    + much harder to program
    + more expensive
    + less reliable

Two speed pumps are
    + cheaper
    + more reliable (especially in areas with lightning)
    + more serviceable (lose a VFD motor, and you may as well replace the whole pump)
    + more complicated to install (for full operation a two timer time clock is required)
    + harder to select correctly -- you MUST pick the right one, for maximum efficiency.

Properly selected, both types are eligible for utility rebates, where they are available.

If you want to go further, you'll need to post exact details of your filter and any other equipment, and send photos of your piping, skimmer(s) and return(s) to poolforum@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread