Have 18 x 36 (plus 4x8 steps) blue solar cover, not sure if 12 or 16 mil, most bubbles popped after 3 1/2 years, looking for replacement. Mine has "solid" edges (about 3 inch flat section on each side, so that you don't pop any bubbles or tear cover while pulling it off the reel.

In looking for a replacement I have several concerns:

1) Nobody seems to offer the flat edges on the sides. I'm concerned about grabbing a fistful of bubbles to pull a heavy cover off of the reel, thinking that they will pop, and the cover will tear.

2) Have a fairly heavy cover now, but not sure if I have 12 or 16 mil. Live in climate zone 5, so looking for good heat retention. Have Rocky Roller reel.

3) Pool is 18x36 plus a 4x8 step section. Everyone wants to sell me a 20x40 and tells me I'll just cut off one side. That seems wasteful and will leave me with a potentially jagged side (can't imagine it's easy to cut a perfect line). No better options?

4) Are there quality differences between sellers, or is this one of those products where they're all buying from the same supplier?

5) Some people say clear or silver are better for heat generation than blue. True or false? My wife really wants the blue "look" and has ruled out the silver, but might consider clear if our blue liner would show through the clear cover.

New to the forum and it won't let me search yet, so sorry if this topic has been discussed. Any help would be, well, helpful. Thanks!