+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solar blanket - 12 vs. 16 mil/color/cutting edges/steps

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Solar blanket - 12 vs. 16 mil/color/cutting edges/steps

No problem with mentioning EcoSmarte -- we just don't let people promote products.

Yes, I meant moolah -- like subscribing to Consumers Report. The problem is, even if I have 100 people ready to do comparisons, I have to have some one to collate, verify test & comparison methods and the like. So, it's money first, volunteers (managed by paid people) later. Hardly anyone will volunteer to spend 2 hours per day, 6 days per week, collecting, checking and collating data -- you pretty much have to pay people to do stuff like that!

ernie1959 Guest

Thanks Ben. I feel for ya when it comes to raising money.

I'm definitely not here to promote any products, just a homeowner/pool owner. I'm surprised that there's not more interest in actually determining which style of blanket actually performs better. This topic seems to be almost a private conversation between you and I!

I have to admit that I was shocked to see the anti-ion sentiment here, as it is what our local dealer recommended when we built the pool. And this guy has been building pools here for 30+ years (and built the chlorine based pool that I maintained for about 15 years prior to building the new one). I see another topic where you posted about someone else's experience with a different ion system, and will share my experience there.

By the way, I ended up getting a 20x40 12mil blue blanket from saveonpoolsupplies.com. I found them when searching online. But here's the interesting part, when I called the phone number listed on their site, "In The Swim" answered. And when I asked a few questions and then said I'd like to go ahead and buy it, her price was about $32 higher than what I was looking at on the saveonpoolsupplies site. She said "Oh, we sell there too", and said she could match the price. I asked if it was the same exact blanket, and she said yes. I just thought that was a huge difference, $154 vs $122, for the same item.

Anyway, thanks.

ernie1959 Guest

Sorry Mark, just realized that you had made a significant post in this thread. Didn't mean to slight you. Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by ernie1959 View Post
    I have to admit that I was shocked to see the anti-ion sentiment here, as it is what our local dealer recommended when we built the pool.
    They work out well for pool owners who

1. Don't let anyone with blond hair swim; and
    2. Don't mind a few bluish green stains; and
    3. Don't let people with infectious diseases swim.

Ionizers ARE good at preventing algae, which is by far the number one VISIBLE problem that pool owners have (and recognize). But, ionizers turn hair and pools green, and pools blue-green or even black. Worse, they don't kill bacteria quickly, or viruses at all. So, ionized pools are normally unsanitary, if a variety of people swim in them.

Ernie, I moved your defense of the EcoSmarte system here:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?15491

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Here's my take on Solar Blankets: I have had opaque, blue on top, black underneath, blue transparent, heavy 16 mil clear, and 12 mil clear.

What I have found is:
    1) Solar blankets last 3 seasons and show signs of popping bubbles at the end. Try to get a fourth season and you'll get zillions of circles in your water. Doesn't matter: it's 3 seasons and replace.
    2) Solar blanket warranties absolutely never, ever, EVER cover bubbles popping, only seams de-laminating. IF you get that, then the warranty may be honored.
    3) While clear seem to heat the best, the difference is marginal.
    4) I haven't tried 8 mil, yet, but I no longer buy the heavy 16 mil ones--too expensive to fail after 3 years.
    5) Otherwise, I simply buy the cheapest 12 mil I can find. It's good for 3 years anyway.
    6) I've now just installed my fourth one on this pool.

PoolSupplies.com sells an 18x32 pre-cut cover.

Carl
    Carl

ernie1959 Guest

Thanks Carl,

My wife really likes the blue, so I ended up getting the 12 mil blue. I'm 18x36 plus a 4x8 step, and I couldn't find anyone who sold that precut, or even an 18x40.

By the end of last year we had tons of those little plastic circles floating on the water. We got 3 1/2 seasons out of it, so you're right on with your statement.

Not sure if I had a 12 or 16 mil, guess I'll know when the 12 mil shows up!

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread