+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Info and Runtime

Question Equipment Info and Runtime

Hey All,

I wanted to find out some info about my filter/pump in regards to its adequacy in relation to the size of my pool. And based off its specs, how long I should run the system for. Had an issue with algae last year and do not want it to happen again.
    Pump - Proline/Speck-Pumpen - PE71-II-V - 1.5HP SPL
    Filter - Waterway Clearwater High Rate Sand Filter - 22"
    Max Flow Rate - 55 GPM
    Max Working Pressure - 35 PSI
    Sand - 150 LBS
    SqFt Surface Area - 2.64
    Pool - 24ft Round, ~14k Gallons?

Pump Pic

Filter Pic

Thank you!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-07-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: relinked photos to Picasa, so they don't die

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Equipment Info and Runtime

The existence of algae has little to do with your pump or your filter but is usually caused by a low chlorine level relative to the CYA level. Post a full set of test results, including PH, FC, TC, TA & CYA, so we can see your current status.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

I understand that. Currently in a shock cycle as I just reopened to a clear pool. I don't have a full test kit either, only red/yellow.

This post was more mainly to double check that this pool package we had installed is adequate.. meaning not over/under powered. After vacuuming dead algae off the bottom of the pool last year, only to see it blowing straight back in from the return port, I worry that the filter is either too small, or the pump to large. Or if there is too little/much sand in said filter. Don't believe the pump is 2 stage-able so im just trying to cross things off in my mind to make sure chemicals are the only thing I need to worry about this season.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

AG pump size is very hard to gauge based upon just the motor label. But a 1.5 HP SPL is the equivalent of a 1 HP up rated pump which is equivalent to a 3/4 HP full rated pump. Add to that the fact that AG pumps usually have lower head curves, your pump is probably not all that big for that size filter so I would say you are probably ok.

The issue you are seeing could be due to either the filter or the debris you are trying to filter. Most sand filters are suppose capture particles greater than 20 microns but some algae is smaller than that and can travel through the filter. One thing you could try is allowing the filter pressure to rise more before cleaning as that will help to capture smaller debris. Also, I think some people have successfully used DE in sand filters to help with debris capture but I don't have any experience with that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

What is SPL exactly? I know it as Sound Pressure Level from my car audio days.

I was going to try the DE addition if it happens again, but heard horror stories of it blowing straight into the pool and being a bigger mess. Last year I was just vacuuming to waste basically while having a hose running into the pool.

I had a pool company come to my house and do the vacuuming last week.. He brought his own pump and a cartridge filter.. seemed to handle the algae on the bottom just fine. Could always find a used cart filter for that purpose. Pool guy said I should really just look for a better sand filter, a Hayward is what he recommended. But figured he was trying to sell me something.

Since nobody is replying with a "OMG you have that filter/pump.. no wonder" it at least puts my mind at ease enough not to worry about it.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

SPL is a term Mark's using to refer to the AG pool pump ratings. I also need to ask him about it.

ONLY use DE to test your filter to make sure it's working: if it blows through the filter, you know your filter needs repairs (maybe, sand).

We need to back up here: it sounds like you may have been asking about your pump / filter combo, because you have an algae problem? If so, spin that off into the Algae section, post your test results, tell us whether you have (or have ordered) a K2006, link back to this thread for equip info . . . and then let us deal with algae THERE, instead of here.

PoolDoc, I don't currently have an algae problem. I was using my algae problem last year as a reason of concern about my pump/filter combo. Know what I'm saying?

SPL means "special". I believe the origin of this is from the fact that most if not all standard AG pumps are already up rated so to get a up rating of that, you need to have a special pump or SPL. Much like up rated pumps, this is a marketing gimmick. Some people insist on "big" pumps but I think the manufactures have recognized the detrimental effects of using a pump that is too large on a small filter so instead, they rate the pump motor nameplate HP much higher with a much lower service factor (< 1.0 SF) but the pump is still using the same impeller as lower the pumps. Think of these pumps as double up rated.
    Mark

Good lord....

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    SPL means "special". I believe the origin of this is from the fact that most if not all standard AG pumps are already up rated so to get a up rating of that, you need to have a special pump or SPL. Much like up rated pumps, this is a marketing gimmick. Some people insist on "big" pumps but I think the manufactures have recognized the detrimental effects of using a pump that is too large on a small filter so instead, they rate the pump motor nameplate HP much higher with a much lower service factor (< 1.0 SF) but the pump is still using the same impeller as lower the pumps. Think of these pumps as double up rated.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm guessing that the pump is OK for the filter.
    The use of DE to test a filter requires more DE than you use to improve filtering. Several of us mods use DE to improve our sand filter's performance and have for years.
    1) Back wash.
    2) Get your base pressure reading.
    3) Add about 1/4 cup of DE to you skimmer while the pump is running.
    4) Wait 20-30 minutes then check the pressure reading
    5) The goal is to figure out how much DE it takes to raise the pressure by 1 pound.
    6) If the pressure has not increased by 1 pound, add another 1/4 cup of DE and wait 20-30minutes again.
    7) Repeat until the pressure has increased by 1 pound.
    8) If you add too much and return flow drops, or the pressure goes up more than 1 pound, simply backwash again and repeat.
    9) Note how much DE it takes to get to the 1 pound increase.
    10) Every time you backwash you will need to add that amount of DE to the skimmer.

You should notice that the water is clearer, with an almost polished look.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread