I opened my pool this weekend my Hayward Viper (model 5500 purchased in early 2004) is getting stuck in turnout mode.

A few seasons ago this happened and it turned out to be a bad check valve. At the start of last season it started doing it again, so I inspected the check valve which was fine. Not seeing anything else that could be causing the problem, I opened up the manifold assembly and cleaned it out and put a little silicone on the rubber gaskets. After that it ran OK for the rest of the season.

Now it's doing it again. The check valve is fine, so I cleaned the manifold again, but it's still sticking in turnout mode. I checked for leaks that might effect water pressure, but found none. Pressure from the booster pump is also fine. So my guess is that I probably need a new manifold.

I've repaired/replaced parts on this cleaner several times and parts are getting harder and harder to find (and tend to be pricey when I do find them). I did find one place that may have a manifold (waiting to hear back from them about availability) for about $120. Even when working properly, I would consider the performance of this cleaner OK. I've never been really thrilled with this cleaner, but since I've never had anything else, I don't have anything to compare it to, so perhaps it performs as well as any other.

So my question is, do I try to fix it again, or just replace it with a new cleaner (considering the Polaris 280; any comments are welcome)?