+ Reply to Thread

Thread: losing my chlorine

Post losing my chlorine

I have a 15,000 gallon saltwater pool. My zodiac cell has kicked the bucket or at least the controls seem to have as the lights show add salt or no flow all the time,even after cleaning. I put a tablet in yesterday morning, checked around 3pm and had an excess of chlorine well over the top of the scale 3.0 using a Guardex 4 in 1. Today checking at 12 noon i have a barely detectable trace. i cannot test the Stabilizer so I have had my Pool Maintenance man give me my readings and about a month ago we added until he was satisfied with all readings. Where the heck is my chlorine going do i have too much water flow through the tablet and I am just dissolving them too fast. I will be installing a new complete SWG system after i complete researching whats new and working. My pool was installed about 5 years ago and i replaced the zodiac cell one year ago.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: losing my chlorine

We need some actual current water testing numbers taken with a drops-based kit to be able to help. We are going to need to know that stabilizer (CYA) reading, too. If you don't have a good kit (and it sounds like you don't), you need to get one. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C. See the test kit link in my signature below. I do not know what it is in a Guardex 4 in 1 but usually 'mixtures' are not a good idea.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mmcinnes View Post
    I cannot test the Stabilizer so I have had my Pool Maintenance man give me my readings
    Hi Mike;

As long as the situation you described continues, NOBODY has any idea what's wrong. Until you know what's IN your pool, you won't able to tell what's going on WITH your pool. The cornerstone of the BBB Method is accurate, reliable testing. In a pinch, you can use an OTO kit (see the test kit info page link in my signature) to get a very rough idea of what's going on . . . but you can't tell for sure. I'm not quite sure why, but it seems like we're saying more this year than we have in the past: "Get a Taylor K2006 testkit"!

When you do, and test the water, and tell us what you find, we'll almost certainly be able be able to give you better advice.

You'll want to remember that because chemical training in the pool industry is utterly dominated by the pool chemical companies, the information provided is much better suited to help pool stores SELL chemicals, than it is toward helping you AVOID unnecessary chemicals and problems. After all, a single algae episode in your pool can make a pool store (or a pool service guy who sells chemicals) as much money as 2 months of regular operation. I am NOT saying your pool guy is deliberately misleading you; I am saying almost all pool guys have been misled themselves.

I'd guess that for every pool store or pool service guy test result that we see that IS reasonable accurate and reliable, we see 4 or 5 that are WAY off the mark. We won't know which category YOUR guy falls into, till you have accurately tested your water yourself.

Also, once you have the accurate testing, I would strongly recommend that you find and read through your manual -- it may be on this page:
    http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Pro...e-Ei.aspx#tab6
    If not, tell me which cell you have, and we'll help you find it. Go through the trouble shooting guide there, step by step. Your cell probably should NOT have failed in one year. Once we've checked the basics, if we don't find an answers, Zodiac's national service manager has just recently agreed to start answering questions here. I don't want to take advantage of him, so we need to do the basics first.

Yes, I will get your answers shortly with a better kit. Never had a single issue until this year so never had a need before. I also forgot to mention I am anal about the cleanliness and balance in my pool so will get the kit and give you better info.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread