+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intex Ultra Frame Pool Hard Plumbing

Default Intex Ultra Frame Pool Hard Plumbing

Hello, we have an Ultra Frame Pool(the beige color) one and we already have a sand filter and pump - probably a little big for the pool. I hooked it up last summer just to get it going, but it kept collapsing the white hoses that came with the pool. Would love to see photos of how you've hard plumbed these pools and instructions on what you did/used. Thank you for your help.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Intex Ultra Frame Pool Hard Plumbing

Its the 16ft (beige one), 100# sand filter, 1 hp pump(both Hayward) - we had the pump and filter from a previous pool. I guess I don't even need to hard plumb, just get rid of those valves that came with it and make a different fitting to use regular hoses - the silver hoses, which to me are heavier. I would even like to put a skimmer in. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi LabMom;

I'm guessing you had a previous AG pool, replaced it with the Intex, and reused the gear from the earlier pool?

There's nothing wrong with that . . . except for one thing. Intex pools are NOT designed for high flow pumps and filters, and using the Intex suction inlet with such a connection is potentially very hazardous. I'm not sure which pump you have, but most Hayward 1HP pumps can literally suck the guts out of a child, if they are hooked up wrong. I mean that 100% literally - your child's organs could end up in the pump strainer basket. (I hope I'm scaring you -- I'm really trying hard!)

Please send photos of what you have, and how you've hooked it up, to poolforum@gmail.com. I'm far less concerned about your hoses than I am your children.

Labmom56, I have had reasonable success using the rubber plumbing connectors designed to connect PVC plumbing together that I got from Lowes to connect the threaded big Intex return and inlet pieces. I believe I used 1 1/2 inch or two inch ones with the two clamps that came with the rubber connector. I coated the threads with regular RTV and clamped the crap out of them and they still leaked a bit. Remember the Intex pools flex alot, that's why hard plumbing really won't work well with these types of pools.

I used that big 2500gph filter pump on an 8 foot small pool and i was worried that I wouldn't get a good "effect" on the new 10 foot metal frame Intex I just got set up a couple of weeks ago, but with a clean filter it moves the water more than good enough for my 10 foot and I am reasonably sure it would be acceptable for your 16 foot. However that is with the cartridge filter not the sand filter. Don't you dare think I have not "eyed" the sand filter.....I so much want to ditch my cartridge for something much less expensive to use (like sand), but wonder if there is a big reduction in water movement with the sand setup.

If you go with the bigger pump filter setup, the only way I could see to reduce the intake suction hazard would be to plumb two or perhaps three intakes. Using basic Y plastic plumbing parts and the big Intex hoses you can screw onto regular 2" threaded PVC plumbing stuff but you willl need to cut 1/4 inch rubber gaskets to go between the screw in hose and the threads in the PVC plumbing parts, a litte RTV goes a long way too. You can get a leak free connection. Been there done that. IF you want I can post a picture...give me a day or so to do so.

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

+ Reply to Thread