+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference between AG and IG filters?

Question Difference between AG and IG filters?

Is there any difference between filters that are sold as "Above Ground Pool Filters" and "Inground Pool Filters"..specifically the Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge filter? Pretty sure it's fine as I've seen others here running it on their AGPs. Just making sure. Only difference I see is the hose connections are on the bottom instead of top... right? Does that affect the way it functions at all, being at a lower height ?

I already have a new pump, and looking to replace my existing undersized sand filter with a cartridge filter. My water isn't crystal clear like I want it to be & I hate running the pump so many hours. My pool info is below, just looking for opinions on what size cartridge filter would be the best bang for my buck also? the c500, c751 or c900? My pool's small and I can use valve to slow down flow SOMEwhat. I have 1 1/2" plumbing.

Thanks so much!
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

Default Re: Difference between AG and IG filters?

Sorry, forgot to add, my pump is rated for like 50-60 gpm
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit

I googled my question, and read that the difference is that an inground filter is supposed to be installed above the water and the above ground filters are designed to be installed below it. So it seems that doing the opposite would have an affect on the performance...yeah? So if this is true that knocks out a lot of filters I was considering And I discovered my pump is rated for 50gpm.

I emailed Hayward and they are suggesting this filter ...what do you all think? Anyone using this one? I don't want to be undersized again but don't want to buy more filter than I need either.

-------------------------------
    Manufacturer: Hayward
    Model: C550

These high-quality filters are designed specifically for use with aboveground pools. Manufactured from high-density ABS materials, these filters are designed to provide years of trouble-free operation. Micro-Clear filters are mounted on a rugged filter base and use a special reinforced polyester cartridge engineered to provide superior water clarity with minimal care.

For Above-ground pools
    Easy-Lok™ lid design makes it easy to access and service the cartridge element
    Built-in check valve prevents accidental loss of pool water when cartridge is being removed for cleaning
    Unique safety-catch prevents over tightening of the cover and unwanted entry into the filter
    Cartridge element is uniquely designed of high quality reinforced polyester and a molded center core for easy cleaning, high flows and long life. (Filter includes cartridge)
    Union connection allows pump or filter to be removed quickly and easily for servicing systems
    Dimensions: 8 3/8" w x 24 1/2" h
    Effective Filtration Area: 55 ft; Design Flow Rate: 69 GPM; Turnover (In Gallons): 33,120 in 8 hours and 41,400 in 10 hours
    Warranty-1 Year
    Last edited by sunlove; 05-05-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Adding more info

I think with a 55 sf cartridge filter you will be cleaning it VERY often. I am upgrading from a 125sf cartridge filter next week in part because I want the clearer water DE can provide, and because the weekly cleanings are getting old.

I don't know about AG vs IG filters, doesn't seem like it would make much difference to me; but I'm on expert on this area. What I understand to be true is that the bigger the sf of the cartridge, the longer you can go between cleanings.

At least cartridge filters (at least mine is) pretty easy to clean.. pop the cartridge out, hose it down and replace.. 5 minute job max.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

One difference between AG and IG may be the check valve that comes with the filter you describe above. This is nice and necessary if you don't have another valve to isolate the pool when you perform filter maintenance. I can't advise the correct size but ... as kelemvor points out larger will surely let you go longer between cleanings.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thanks for the insight. It seems like to get a larger size you pretty much have to go with an "inground filter". I'm just trying for a happy medium, don't want to over work my pump, yet don't want to have to clean it all the time either. I am thinking either the c751 at 75 sq ft. or c900 which is 90 sq ft. Hm decisions decisions.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

AG filters tend to come in combo units with the pump where as the IG filters do not and there definitely IS a difference between an AG pump and an IG pump due to priming but really there is not much of a difference in the filters other than perhaps size. AG cartridge filters tend to come in sizes below 200 sq-ft where as IG filters come in all sizes up to 525 sq-ft.

So if you are shopping for a AG combo unit (filter and pump), then I would target the 100 sq-ft size or larger for that size pool. More specifically, because the way they match the filter and pump, I would suggest the Pentair PNCC0150OF216.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I have an AG pool with an inground pump and it works just fine. 27ft AG, approx. 19,300 gallons. My pump is an inground 1/2 hp fullrated pump. It is self-priming, which I love! I've had it for several years and have been very satisfied with the performance.

Thank you Mark, that is what I wanted clarification on.

I purchased a hayward c900 cart filter and it should be here in 1-2 days. Hopefully we won't have any trouble installing it. Seems like a fair match up for my 50-60 gpm pump. I am still going to keep my sand filter as a back up in case of a dirty pool emergency. If I can figure out some where to hide it nearby.

Do you just store them with the sand in it? If it doesn't have any algae in it when I store it, nothing funky should grow in there, right?

+ Reply to Thread