+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have a 2 speed pump - when to use low? When to use high?

Jacob99 is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Jacob99 0

Default I have a 2 speed pump - when to use low? When to use high?

Another thread in the pool chemical testing section prompted this question so I figured I would post it where it should be.

I have a 2 speed pump. I'm not sure when I should be using the High speed, or when I should be using the Low speed. I believe it was Pool Doc who just mentioned that on a sand or cartridge filter if my water looks cloudy, I should run on low because it'll filter better. So that's one scenario where I should run it on low, but with that being said, wouldn't I always want it to filter better? I guess because it's filtering slower, it filters better. The low speed is 3/4 horse which most pool stores laugh at for a 30' pool, but I went on the recommendation of all you pool geniuses...lol.

So, when should I run high vs. low?

Also, in regards to a pump timer (which I don't have yet). Would I set the timer to only run on low? I assume a timer wouldn't be able to switch between low and high so I would have to pick one.

One more newbie question that's un-related - should I not remove my skimmer basket while my pump is on? I lifted it up before and it made a flushing sound from all the suction. Should I only remove the basket when the pump is off, or does it matter?
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: I have a 2 speed pump - when to use low? When to use high?

I think the majority of folks run their pumps on low except when backwashing or possibly running a cleaner. I'm sure that the 2-speed folks will correct me if I'm wrong....

You should not remove the skimmer basket while your pump is on--the basket is what protects your pipes/pump from large stuff (leaves, spiders, etc) and keeps it all out of the impeller on the pump....

I run my 2-speed pump on low for 6 hours during the night for filtration. I have it on again for about an hour after a swim session. I run it on high only when I vacuum or for a filter backwash/rinse operation. On the rare occasions when I have to add a powder/granular chemical such as baking powder or borax I might run the pump on high while pushing the powder around with a brush, just to help it disperse and mix in faster.

Make sure you have a properly seated and functioning weir. That's the flapper in front of your skimmer. You may need to remove it when you connect the vacuum hose but it should be in place all other times.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Why the increased need for a weir? Because the suction won't keep debris in the skimmer like it will on high?
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I remove my skimmer basket while the pump is on with no problem. I do it all the time. Lift it out, dump the junk that has accumulated in it and put it immediately right back in. I doubt it is out for more than 5 seconds. I never turn the pump off to do this. If the basket is really full and there is a lot of suction on it, I might take my finger and move some of the stuff in the basket around a little to break the strong suction and then it can be lifted out easily.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

If you turn the pump off, the bugs float up and you have to reach through them.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Jacob99 is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Jacob99 0

Cool. Thanks everyone!
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

+ Reply to Thread