+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Results - Please Review

Jacob99 is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Jacob99 0

Default Test Results - Please Review

I got some more liquid chlorine (12.5) into my pool today after the sun went down. I just ran some tests and here are my numbers. Pool was just filled yesterday morning so this is my first set of numbers. Please let me know if they sound correct or what corrective action I should take:

FC: 3.4ppm
    CC: 0.4ppm
    pH: Somewhere between 7.0 - 7.2 so I'll go with 7.1.
    TA: 50ppm
    CH: 20ppm
    CYA: I'm going to go with non-existent because the mixture didn't even turn cloudy
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

Default Re: Test Results - Please Review

I would believe your CYA numbers since you haven't added any. If you have added it is my understanding that it takes awhile for the CYA to dissolve and get mixed well.

I would say to keep ahead of the curve and keep the FC up until you get some CYA. The sun will burn through your chlorine super fast without CYA so you might add it several times a day.

Post some pictures, I would like to see your set-up. Sounds like a great pool.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    I would believe your CYA numbers since you haven't added any. If you have added it is my understanding that it takes awhile for the CYA to dissolve and get mixed well.

I would say to keep ahead of the curve and keep the FC up until you get some CYA. The sun will burn through your chlorine super fast without CYA so you might add it several times a day.

Post some pictures, I would like to see your set-up. Sounds like a great pool.
    I'll post some pics as soon as I get the landscape around it finished up. I hate seeing my yard messy...lol.

Are the other levels okay? ph, CH, TA, etc....
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

I'm not really an expert, but to this amateur they look OK. I'm sure Pooldoc will chime in.

They like the TA to be a little higher so you might look at that. You said you've got an above ground so I assume it's a vinyl liner and I don't think CH is too important with a vinyl liner.

If it were me I would get the chlorine up, it's easier to stop an algae outbreak than it is to fix the aftermath. Just be careful on how you apply the chlorine, you don't want to bleach your liner out.

I would listen to Pooldoc or one of the other experts, I'm still at "dangerous bystander" phase LOL.

Good luck.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Your numbers actually don't look bad. Make sure the chlorine level stays at 3 ppm or above until you get some stabilizer in the water, which may require that you add chlorine more than once per day. I would go ahead and start adding your CYA--either in an old sock hanging in front of your return, or you can add it slowly through the skimmer where it will go to your filter and sit until it dissolves. If you choose to put it through the skimmer, don't backwash for at least 5-6 days, because you'll just wash it all out and have to start over again. Follow label directions and target about a 40 ppm level, for starters. You can always tweak it later.

I would bump that pH up just a tad--anywhere between 7.0 and 8.0 is generally okay, but you don't have much leeway with 7.1. Maybe target around 7.4?

I don't know what chlorination method you're planning to use for the season, but unless you're going to be using stabilized chlorine (trichlor tabs, dichlor powder), then I would leave the TA alone for now. Having it on the low end will help stabilize your pH. If you're going to be using stabilized chlorine, you might want to bump it up to the 100 range (you can use baking soda for this).
    Janet

I plan to go BBB once my levels are good.

So, I need to raise my CYA. I think I'm going to use dichlor which I plan to buy on my way home today. According to the pool calculator, I need 128oz to get it to 40. So, I would put 2 lbs per day right? After 4 days, I'll have my 128oz then I'll stop using dichlor all together and switch back to liquid chlorine.

Sound ok?

Should I be adding some Borax at some point since the dichlor will lower my pH?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

You'll definitely need Borax - your pH is alreday low
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Went to Namco, Home Depot, and Walmart - no one has dichlor. They all have cal-hypo.

How about stabilizer/conditioner? That's straight CYA correct?
    Will that lower you pH as well?
    Is this where you hang it in an old sock in front of the return vs. dissolving in a bucket with the dichlor?
    Is stabilizer/conditioner a better way to go than the dichlor?
    I would continue to dose with liquid chlorine in addition to the stabilizer correct?

They have a stabilizer/conditioner at Namco but it doesn't list ingredients which scares me a little....

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The stabilizer/conditioner is usually straight CYA. If you look at the ingredient label, it should say cyanuric or isocyanuric acid. If so, that's the stuff. You can either hang it in a sock in front of a return, or put it into the skimmer slowly, and let it dissolve on your filter (if you go that route, you can't backwash for 4 or 5 days because you'll backwash it out undissolved and have to start over). It dissolves very very slowly, so you won't be able to dissolve it enough in a bucket of water to broadcast it--although dissolving it in water as much as you can before putting it in the skimmer might speed up the process and will reduce the chance of it clogging your pipes. If you put it through the skimmer, don't bother to retest for it for at least 4-5 days--you'll just be wasting the reagent. You do need to dose with chlorine of some sort in addition to the stabilizer. All the stabilizer does is help protect the chlorine you put into the pool from being consumed by the sun. It will not significantly lower your pH. It is a weak acid. If you're happy with the liquid chlorine, then I'd just go with straight CYA and skip the dichlor. Dichlor will drive your pH down significantly, and the CYA won't.

How much should I put in at a time? Since my current level is 0, I would need 112oz which is 7lbs. 7bs sounds like too much weight for 1 sock. My current thought is to do 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer for that instant gratification, then I would only need about 4 lbs of the dry dissolving stuff. This should bring my CYA somewhere in the 35-40 range....

+ Reply to Thread