+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: cloudy water

Default cloudy water

In the process of of trying to get my water cleared up now. This is my first inground pool...and I'm pretty much lost. I adjusted the PH and alkalinity and was then told to shock it. Its a bright sky blue color right now and extremely cloudy...can maybe see about 1 foot down.

The Pool dealer sold me some stuff called Chlor Mor Super Floc Out but after reading a little bit on this forum I'm going to hold off on putting that in.

The pool is a vinyl liner IG pool 16x32 foot 8 foot on the deep in.

Only thing I have done is adjust the PH to 7.2, and shock it and backwash it. I guess I need to get a decent test kit next.

Anything else I can do from here?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: cloudy water

Hi Zac;

1. If you have NO test kit, go to Walmart or wherever, and a get a cheap OTO/phenol red drops kit. (NOT: strips!)
    2. Make sure the pH is more than 7.0 and less than 8.0; otherwise don't worry about it now.
    3. Add 2 gallons of plain 6% household bleach tomorrow evening; test the chlorine the following AM (Wednesday)
    4. List, by exact product name, the pool chemicals you have in your possession . . . but DO NOT use them.
    5. Run your pump & filter 24/7.
    6. If you have a valve that will allow you to SLOW the water flow to 1/2, without over-pressuring your filter, do so.
    7. Order a good kit (Taylor K2006, or an add on, if you have a K-2005). Kit info page link in my signature.
    8. List the pump and filter you have by make, model, & size.
    9. If you've got any specific questions, ask them when you post test results.
    10. Use 6% bleach to maintain chlorine levels in the "dark yellow" zone, till we've worked out a plan.
    11. If you've got algae on the bottom, add 2 gallons of bleach and then brush AFTER you've added the bleach.
    12. As needed, use muriatic acid to LOWER your pH -- approx 1/2 gallon at a time. (Instruction page!)
    13. Use 20 Mule Team borax to RAISE your ph, 1 box at a time added SLOWLY to the skimmer with the pump on.
    14. Otherwise, we'll give you next steps when we here from you.

Best wishes!

Thanks. I picked up a cheap kit from walmart today. I also stopped by the pool place and let them test the water again just to see if it changed from when they checked it last time. No worries though....they didnt try to sell me anything, LOL

Total Alkalinity - 85
    pH - 7.6
    Calcium Hardness - 132
    Free Chlorine - 0
    Cyanuric Acid - 10

Chemical Inventory that I have on hand:
    *14 bags of 1lb Dry Chlorinating granules. The brand is by Re*Fresh and 68% Calcium Hypochlorite and 32% other ingrediants.
    *25lbs of 3" Chlorine tabs made by Pool Season
    Three 4oz bags of Mustard Algae Treatment made by Poolife. 98% Sodium Bromide. 2% other Ingrediants
    1 quart of Clor Mor Super Floc-Out

I'm unsure on the pump and filter make and models but will post them when I get home from work in a bit. I also noticed yesterday when I was looking that I have a Hayward CL200 Chlorine Feeder...Not sure how I should be using that either. I'm assuming just fill it up with tablets.. anyway...I'll add the 2 gallons of bleach this evening and then brush.
    20K Gal Vinyl Liner IG Pool (16' Wide x 32' Long & 8' Max Depth)
    Hayward S244T Filter
    CL200 Feeder
    1.5HP Up-Rate Super Pump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    1. If you have NO test kit, go to Walmart or wherever, and a get a cheap OTO/phenol red drops kit. (NOT: strips!)
    2. Make sure the pH is more than 7.0 and less than 8.0; otherwise don't worry about it now.
    3. Add 2 gallons of plain 6% household bleach tomorrow evening; test the chlorine the following AM (Wednesday)
    4. List, by exact product name, the pool chemicals you have in your possession . . . but DO NOT use them.
    5. Run your pump & filter 24/7.
    6. If you have a valve that will allow you to SLOW the water flow to 1/2, without over-pressuring your filter, do so.
    7. Order a good kit (Taylor K2006, or an add on, if you have a K-2005). Kit info page link in my signature.
    8. List the pump and filter you have by make, model, & size.
    9. If you've got any specific questions, ask them when you post test results.
    10. Use 6% bleach to maintain chlorine levels in the "dark yellow" zone, till we've worked out a plan.
    11. If you've got algae on the bottom, add 2 gallons of bleach and then brush AFTER you've added the bleach.
    12. As needed, use muriatic acid to LOWER your pH -- approx 1/2 gallon at a time. (Instruction page!)
    13. Use 20 Mule Team borax to RAISE your ph, 1 box at a time added SLOWLY to the skimmer with the pump on.
    14. Otherwise, we'll give you next steps when we here from you.
    Do NOT use the sodium bromide material; there may be a time you use that, but it's not now, and not soon! The other materials can be used us later.

The sand filter is a Hayward Pro Series Model S244T
    The Motor says A.O. Smith Corp
    Model - C48L2N134C1
    Chlorine feeder - CL200
    Hayward S244T Filter
    CL200 Feeder
    1.5HP Up-Rate Super Pump

It's confusing, but motors have separate models and info from pump (motor + wet end). An AO Smith C48L2N134C1 is a 1.5HP motor, though I don't know if it's 'uprate' or 'full rate'.

But anyhow, what we need is the PUMP model, which should be on a label somewhere on the wet end. Regardless, knowing that it's a 1.5 HP, we almost certainly know it's too big for your filter, which means your filter has probably lost sand during backwash . . . .which means it may not filter very well.

Adding sand to a S244T is a pain, unless you happen to have unions in place to make it easy. So, unless you have a "must be clear by May X" deadline, it would probably be better to test it with DE powder. Take look at the links, and see if you can find some locally -- you only need a couple of pounds to test the filter, but you can use more, to help clean up the mess:

Diatomaceous Earth Pool Filter D.E. 25 lbs

To test your filter, just add a couple of pounds (a couple of quarts) to the skimmer, and then go watch one of the returns. If you see white DE powder shoot back into the pool . . . you're going to have to work on your filter.

Brushed and added the bleach (2gallons)about 6am this morning and then tested about ten minutes ago.

I came up with:
    Free chlorine - 0.5
    Combined chlorine - was I between the 0.6 reading and 1.0 so I guess I'll go with middle which is 0.8
    pH seemed higher today. I came up with 7.8 on my cheap little tester. Ill check for that de powder tomorrow at a little pool place by my work.

Here's a pic of the label in the motor -- [RMVD - PoolDoc]
    Hayward S244T Filter
    CL200 Feeder
    1.5HP Up-Rate Super Pump

Yeah, I looked at your motor label -- but that's what it is; a motor label. The pump label is on the wet end of things.

Up the dose to 4 gallons, and add it in the EVENING. Let us know when you get the K-2006 -- we need FC, CC, and CYA readings in particular. (And no, you can't trust your pool store tests -- a few are trustworthy, most aren't, and the only way to tell the difference is to compare their results with your K-2006 results . . . !)

Sorry, I should have read more closely.. Also I thought the pump/motor were all one unit. I'll look on it tonight and see if there is any model number or label anywhere else that I didnt see and I'll add more bleach tonight and check it in the morning with my little walmart kit before I leave for work and post up.

K-2006 is ordered and on the way. I bought the cheaper 3/4oz version. Hopefully that will last me through the summer.

The water was much more clear this morning than it ever has been so far. I could see the bottom on the shallow end now.
    Hayward S244T Filter
    CL200 Feeder
    1.5HP Up-Rate Super Pump

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can use a cheaper OTO/Phenol Red kit for daily testing and use the Taylor K-2006 for once a week or so testing. Unless you are clearing up a problem of some type or tweaking any chemistry levels. In those cases, you would use the K-2006 more often. The one test you quickly run out of is the CYA test. So, use those sparingly. You can always order refills for reagents you need to replace without ordering a whole new kit.

+ Reply to Thread