+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help - Green clear water

Default Re: Help - Green clear water

Quick Update:

Continues to rain here - and air temps are cool at 45 - 55 degrees

PH drifted down below 7.0 yesterday and I added soda ash last night.

I retested PH this morning and it was 7.0, so I added some more soda ash this morning

TC = 5.0
    FC = 5.0
    CC = 0

Pool (thankfully) is still blue

I stocked-up on bleach jugs at walmart, but have not introduced anything new to the pool - other than the chlorine that it is getting via the in-line feeder

Default Re: Help - Green clear water - Problems Again

SO....
    Yesterday morning (May 7th) the water was blue (and it has been blue for several days)

It warmed up and was sunny yesterday and the air temp hit around 70 degrees (I mention this because the pool water warmed up as well)

I returned home from work and the pool had changed to a light, very clear, green

I did a quick PH and TC test and the PH was 7.2 and the TC was at 6. Just to be sure, one again, that this is not an algae problem, I added three 96 OZ jugs of 6% bleach.

This Morning the pool is still clear, light green. And, this morning, I broke out my Full Taylor test kit and took a full set of readings. It is raining lightly.

They are :
    TC = 11.5
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.2
    TA = 80
    CYA < 30 ( I can still barely make-out the dot with the tube filled to the top)

(Over this past weekend I had vacuumed the pool and added Arm & Hammer to bring the TA up to 80 (from 40) - the pool walls and bottom are nice and clean)

I am assuming, with the high chlorine levels, that this is definitely a metal problem.

I need some advice. I did buy a culator pack from the local Leslies ($25 ouch) and have that in the skimmer, but I understand this will take awhile to help.

Should I add some more Metal Magnet to the pool??????

Thanks
    16 X 32 Inground - Vinyl Liner -- Hayward Sand Filter -- Hayward 3/4 HP Pump

Interesting:

During the evening of May 8th, I added a quart of sequestering agent (this is the only thing I added). By last night (May 9th), the pool has returned to a clear blue color. I am cautiously happy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi Mass;

All sequestering agents are temporary in their effect, so the improvement in your water is also temporary. However, if the CuLater works as advertised (we're not sure yet), it's the only product that can remove metals (iron, in your case) from the water even while it's sequestered.

We hope it does work as advertised -- it would be a very useful tool for quite a few people. But, you'll want to watch. They claim a color change as the material captures metal from the water. Also, once the iron begins to be released from the sequestering agent, it will begin to stain things. If you run your pump continuously, what it's likely to stain is your filter (which is OK) and the interior of your skimmer. So, you may want to watch for that.

Good luck . . . and please let us know how it goes. (We'd like to know if the CuLator product DOES work.)
    Last edited by Watermom; 05-10-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: de-sig

Just thought I'd leave an update. My pool has remained blue over the last three weeks. I did add sequestering agent once - one morning I detected the beginning of a greenish tint in the water (and added the sequestering stuff) and by the evening it was back to pure blue. I have not had to add any fill water, as we have had plenty of rain.

And, the CuLator doesn't appear to have changed color yet.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thanks so much for the info. I'd really like to get a better understanding, this year, of how metals behave in pools, and responses like yours really help.

I wonder if you could do 3 things:

(1) Tell me how you've been testing. (Do you have a K2006, TFP100 or ?)
    (2) Tell me what sequestering agent you used.
    (3) Do white bucket tests on both the pool water and your fill water - to see if metals remain in either one.

First two are easy, of course. If you're willing to do bucket tests, here's how it goes:

1. Get a clean white 5 gallon bucket
    2. Add 4 gallons of test water (do the pool first, fill water second)
    3. Add 1/4 cup each of plain bleach and 1/8 cup of baking soda to the water, and mix till the soda is dissolved.
    4. Cover and wait 2 days -- leave the bucket where it won't be moved or disturbed.
    5. Check for sediment on the bottom, especially color.
    6. Tell me what you find.

(1) I use the Taylor K-2006 test kit

(2) I use Clearview Mineral Magnet (by OREQ) sequestering agent.
    (Note: At the beginning of the season (over the course of a week) I used three bottles of Natural Chemistry Metal Free and it did not get my pool to turn blue. I am not sure whether I had so much metal in my water, because I added so much fill water when I opened the pool, that it didn't reach the tipping point with the Natural Chemistry MF or whether the Natural Chemistry isn't effective. Anyway I switched to the Clearview Mineral Magnet and the pool turned blue in a couple of days.)

(3) Haven t had a chance to do the white bucket test

My pool has remained blue over the last six or seven weeks, but I haven't had to add any fill water (lots of rain)

My CuLator pack floated in the skimmer for about five weeks - and then sank to the bottom of the skimmer basket

Quote Originally Posted by masspool View Post
    And, the CuLator doesn't appear to have changed color yet.
    Did it ever change color? We're not sure how well they work, but we are fairly sure they are a good presence/absence test for metals.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Did it ever change color? We're not sure how well they work, but we are fairly sure they are a good presence/absence test for metals.
    The CuLator bag has brownish-rust colored spots and streaks, but the whole bag has not changed color. The spotting is about the same color as my skimmer basket, which is probably ten years old.

Also the outer Culator bag has worn through (sort of torn), but there is a second layer-inner bag that is still intact.
    Last edited by masspool; 06-27-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo

If you are done with the CuLator, can you cut it open, and see if the plastic particles are discolored?

Here's what you are looking for

+ Reply to Thread