+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some help determining most cost-effective sanitizing option

Default Need some help determining most cost-effective sanitizing option

So I went to my local Walmart and looked at the prices for my options for sanitizing my 80,000 liter vinyl liner pool. CYA levels are currently at 0.

- 5 liter jug of 4% bleach is $1.98
    - 7kg trichlor pucks cost $39.87
    - 454g of HTH sock it shock treatment costs $3.98. i am assuming this is 65% cal-hypo, it does not say on the bag anywhere.

So according to the pool calculator, to get my pool from 0 FC to 4 FC would require the following:

- 7500ml of 4% bleach
    - 350g of trichlor
    - 496g of 65% cal-hypo

This works out to a cost of $3.00 for bleach, $2.00 for trichlor, and $4.00 for cal-hypo. I have always used 6% bleach, but now my walmart only carries 4%, and it seems the pucks are now the cheapest option.

Have I done this calculation correctly, and is there anything else I need to consider?
    Last edited by az_13; 04-29-2012 at 09:05 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Need some help determining most cost-effective sanitizing option

Don't assume the Sock It is 65% -- if it doesn't say, it's probably not. They've been selling diluted blends, when they can.

5 liters of bleach => abt 0.4lb chlorine, or $4.88/lb
    7kg trichlor (90%) => 13.9lb chlorine or $2.86/lb

HTH ???

80,000 liter => 21,000 gallons => PF = 6.

350g TC is about right; didn't check the others. Sorry about converting SI to US, but I've done US so long that I can check those calcs in my head, whereas I have to put SI on paper to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Keep in mind, when you use the pucks your CYA is going to rise 2.4 ppm when you add 4 ppm FC with trichlor! That will get to be an issue eventually. You may want to look at a SWCG, which you can use in conjunction with tabs. Using some tabs will keep your pH down (SWCG's tend to make it rise) and maintain your CYA, but using the SWCG as primary source will be relatively inexpensive (over the 4 -6 life of the cell) and won't cause CYA rise.

+ Reply to Thread