+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool pumps and heaters

Default Pool pumps and heaters

I have a 18' x 48'' metal frame pool and 2-2 x 20 solar panels that are in their second season. Last year, I just built a couple frames next to the pool to place the solar panels, but this was an eyesore and cluttered the yard. This year, I will be mounting the panels to a southward facing fence right next to the pool. Last year, the cheap pump that came with the pool didn't seem to generate adequate water flow through the panels to heat it. Now I'm worried that the water flow will decrease even more having to travel above the pool level to the top of a 6 ft fence.

Does anybody know any good solutions or pumps that might work? I'd like to purchase a nice above ground/spa pump (Hayward, etc.) to generate more water flow and possibly more heat. However the Hayward website says not to use their above ground pumps on these "Storable Pools." Do most pool pumps require an electrician for grounding, etc; even on these cheaper pools? Thanks for the help. This has been a great asset and will continue to be so as we slowly upgrade to our dream inground pool. Thanks

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Pool pumps and heaters

6 Feet isn't that much, a 1 or 1.5 HP pump would be OK for that size pool with that much head to push.

wrinkleigh is offline ** No working email address ** wrinkleigh 0

Default Re: Pool pumps and heaters

I have a hayward 1hp that I have used for 5 yrs on a metal frame pool. Never a problem at all.

My motor actually died today and I went and bought a 3/4 hp to replace it with about an hour ago!

+ Reply to Thread