+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should i replace my salt cell or the whole system

Question Should i replace my salt cell or the whole system

I have a Polaris Auto clear SWG which will not produce any chlorine. I moved to my house 3 years ago and system was already here for at 2 years. I pretty sure these only last about that long. Anyway for about 2 months last year it wouldn't produce any. I didn't want to spring for a new one so i just added regular bleach as my chlorine. I don't want to this year as i did like the less maintenance of the system. I've found a few place online for around $500 for the part. I've never heard of them or used them before. I just wanted to see if anyone had a reputable place or places that sell this item. Also, since i have to buy a new cell and it's $500 or more probably should i be looking at other brands and whole systems that might be $750-$1000 and be better. I don't know. I would check in the forums but am restricted for now. Thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Should i replace my salt cell or the whole system

I'm not sure on your particular brand, but I've picked up some cells and other components for my Jandy Aquapure on E-bay for very good prices over the years. You take your chances with private sellers, but I've not been burned yet on parts for my system on Ebay. Though I only buy from those with good feedback as sellers.
    Jandy Aqua-Pure SWCG on 1.5" bypass to a venturi skimmer; in-floor cleaning system presently disengaged. pebble coat surface, spill over spa

15x30' kidney 22.9K gal IG pool; swg; Jandy Cl 340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VS pump; 18hrs; K2006 Taylor; shallow well + utility; summer: ; winter: ; none; PF:5.2

Thanks for the idea. I had never thought of doing that. I think will at least see if its out there on ebay.

I was an inch away from buying a 'generic' cell replacement for my Aquarite from poolsupplyworld.com when I saw they had the Hayward replacement (they bought Aquarite?) for not much more. I think I paid about $430 for the Hayward. The unit shipped quickly and arrived quickly. I think they used FedEx. I installed it and am now generating chlorine.

For what it's worth, I've heard some of the generics are just as good, if not even better in some way, to the factory originals. I stayed with the named brand in case I need service, I don't want them pointing the clear blue salt cell and claiming that's the problem even if it isn't.

Just my paranoia.
    - Mike
    13,500 gal, gunite, white plaster, Aquarite SWG, 2 ft Waterfall and Ledge Bubbler

I'm in the exact same boat as you turk2012. My Polaris Autoclear was installed 4 seasons ago. At the end of last season, it would not produce chlorine. Since they don't make this model anymore, I'm stuck with all local service companies wanting to install a whole new system for $1800 or taking the chance of trying to replace the cell myself, and hoping it works. I've already spent $300 on chemicals during opening, which here in Arkansas was about 4 weeks ago. Since I put in the SWG when I installed the pool, I'm now starting all over, learning from scratch, which is costly and frustrating. I was considering just doing chemicals moving forward, but what a pain in the rear! My SWG was very low maintenance, and water always clear. Now I'm dealing with balancing chemicals, a lot of time and money!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Cuuhl, once you get the hang of it, doing chemicals by hand is pretty fast and easy. It does take awhile to get the routine down, though.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mphare View Post
    I was an inch away from buying a 'generic' cell replacement for my Aquarite from poolsupplyworld.com when I saw they had the Hayward replacement (they bought Aquarite?) for not much more.
    Hayward has owned Goldline Controls (manufacturer of AquaRite, AquaLogic, and AquaTrol SWCGs and automation systems and also solar controllers) since 2004! Recently they have phased out the Goldline Controls name and the units are now branded Hayward.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I was at my local Metal Supermarket a couple of weeks ago were I met a man who's salt cell was shot. I believe 3 to 4 hundred dollars for replacement. Bottom line, he disassembled the cell to expose the almost completely gone copper bars. I believe it was around 20 bucks for a foot or so of 1/2" copper bar stock and he has enought for many replacements. Yes he had to carefully cut the unit apart, yes he will have to drill and tap the new copper bars and cut them to length, yes he will have to glue everything back together......20 bucks versus 400....I know what I would be doing (or asking a talented neighbor to help).

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

Sounds like your neighbor had a copper ionizer, not an SWCG. Unfortunately, the repair you describe would not work at all on an SWCG cell, which uses titanium or other exotically coated base plates -- to avoid loss of plate metal into the water.

+ Reply to Thread