+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should i replace my salt cell or the whole system

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Should i replace my salt cell or the whole system

Also many ionizers do not use just copper. Many are copper and silver so that cheap 'fix' is not going to do the job!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Also many ionizers do not use just copper. Many are copper and silver so that cheap 'fix' is not going to do the job!
    Oh, I don't know. I tend to think of ionizers as "broken from the factory", so a 'broken fix' won't make them any worse!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by pooldoc View Post
    oh, i don't know. I tend to think of ionizers as "broken from the factory", so a 'broken fix' won't make them any worse!
    roflmao!!!!!!!!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Cuuhl, once you get the hang of it, doing chemicals by hand is pretty fast and easy. It does take awhile to get the routine down, though.
    That's the thing about the B-B-B system: Once you get the hang of it, you find the idea of an SWCG attractive and intriguing, but hard to justify as B-B-B done right is easy and simple, so you don't really gain that much of a work reduction. Of course, if you travel a lot and don't have someone to take care of your pool, that's a different story. I've toyed with getting one over the years, but it's just too easy for me to add LC instead.
    Carl

It's definately not a chlorine generator. Copper is too soft a metal to last any length of time in an electrolytic process, much less an electrolytic chlorine generator.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Everytime you consider replacing a cell or installing a SWCG, I would seriously (re)consider the cost. Kinch, had a very good cost analysis regarding a SWCG (see http://www.truetex.com/poolcontrol.htm). It might not be as low cost as many people give it credit. It does however supply a great convenience factor.
    14' 1900gal intex AG -- hayward S166T filter -- hayward max-flow 1.16HP dual speed 12/27GPM -- intex SWC -- 120sqft sungrabber panels

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by spica View Post
    It (a SWCG - PoolDoc) might not be as low cost as many people give it credit. It does however supply a great convenience factor.
    Spica, we do NOT recommend SWCG's as a cost saving measure. Instead tell people that using the BBB method manual is cheaper, as a rule, than using a SWCG, once you look at all the costs. They might save money for people who are frequently away, since algae episodes can be so expensive, and a SWCG makes it much easier to keep a pool chlorinated while no one's at home. So, while most people who have them seem to like them, in my judgement they are only 'essential' for 'road warriors'.

We *have* seen some problems with corrosion, but these seem to be somewhat localized to dry areas of the country, and to pools using specific kinds of natural stone. But, we haven't figured out what kind of stone that is, except it doesn't seem to be limestone or granite.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean View Post
    Copper is too soft a metal to last any length of time in an electrolytic process, much less an electrolytic chlorine generator.
    Sean, I was *guessing* was that they WERE using copper, but were treating the deterioration of the electrodes as a 'feature' (it adds algicidal copper to the pool) rather than a 'failure' (the SWCG stopped working). However, when I looked at the schematic, it appears I was mistaken, and you are correct.

In the schematic below for the "Krystal Clear Saltwater System " (~$270 @ Intex), part #4 is listed as "ELECTROLYTIC CELL (WITH TITANIUM PLATES) (O-RING A INCLUDED) 11233" for $131, and #5 is listed as "COPPER ELECTRODE 11234" for $54. Replacing parts may not make sense, however. The complete unit is available from Amazon of for less than $170 (May 2012): Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear Saltwater System

Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.

I had the goldline aquarite system priced out by local pool company. They came in at $1,400. For now i'll be going with the BBB method. I did it for most of last year and just can't see spending that much on a new one. That being said, I will definitely miss the convenience factor of the swg.

I suppose my only quandry now will be how I maintenance the system when on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by turk2012 View Post
    I suppose my only quandary now will be how I maintenance the system when on vacation.
    Here's how:

1. Make sure you the K-2006 or K-1515 so you can manage high chlorine levels. (Test kit page in sig)

2. Get a K-2006 or HTH 6-way so you can test CYA

3. Buy undiluted, unblended dichlor from Sams Club (50# for $105) or Amazon Kem-Tek Dichlor 22.5 lbs

4. Buy undiluted, unblended trichlor from Sams Club (40# for ?? I forget, but cheap) or Amazon Kem-Tek 3" Trichlor 35#

5. If you use Amazon, get the 1 month Amazon Prime trial, so you can ship 2-day for free. (~$90 unlimited; remember to cancel if it doesn't work for you -- I live by it at Xmas!)

6. Get your CYA up to near 100 ppm by vacation. (The 22lbs of KemTek dichlor, in your pool, will add about 55 ppm of CYA to your pool)

7. Get a floater and trichlor (Sams Club or Amazon again)
    Kem-Tek 879 Pool Floating Tablet Dispenser Pool and Spa Accessories
    Kem-Tek 3" Trichlor 35#
    8. Shock the pool to 20 ppm FC before you leave, and then put the trichlor floater in, filled full, and turned down to the lowest setting.

You should be good for a week, that way.

PoolDoc, Thanks for the step by step lesson. Amazing the quality of content i get on this forum. I really appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread