+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air from return jets

Default Air from return jets

Hi all, I have noticed for quite sometime that I have air returning into the pool jets and the spa return as well, the basket on the pump is virtually full, but a little air can be seen at the top, not filled to the top like it use to be. Anyway, is there any trouble shooting procedure or tips to help identify where the air is being sucked in at? I have an 18 x 36 pool with spa, a DE filter fnsp 60, and a sta rite 2 hp pump, with a heat pump as well. There are a lot of lines out around the filter and pump, and I"m not sure where to begin. Thanks Craig

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Air from return jets

Air in the system means a SUCTION side leak -- that's everything between the pool and your pump's strainer basket lit. Leaks past that point let pool water OUT, rather than drawing air IN.

Probably the two most common places for suction leaks are
    1. where the pipe from the skimmer &/or main drain enters the pump, &
    2. around the pump lid gasket.

You can check the inlet threads with silicone: if you wipe it around the threads, and a tiny bit gets sucked in (or, if you're lucky, the leaking stops) then you've found the problem. Also check the pump basket gasket -- remove any dirt, replace the gasket if it's warped or cracked or whatever.

After those things, you can check valve seals and unions on the SUCTION pipling.

Good luck - finding small suction leaks can be a real pain in the @##

Thanks for the reply ben, i did change the gasket on the pump basket, but it did no good. I will try and run some silicone around the joints and see if i have any luck, thanks.
    18 x 36 pool with spa; FNSP 60 DE filter; StaRite 2 hp pump; heat pump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Well, I wish you luck! Hunting for suction leaks has never been one of my preferred tasks!

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Don't forget to lube the pump drain plug. That can also be a source of an air leak.

Also, if all else fails, some people have had success using shaving cream on the joints to find out where the plumbing is leaking as it will get sucked into the joint.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread